Should engine kits come with a frame?

GoldenMotor.com

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
I think 50% of the issues that comes with buying a kit, HT or 4-stroke is finding a frame to fit the kits. And I think if the frames are custom built for the kit, it would be a better ride, and solving the issues on engine mounts, alignment, chain tensioner, fuel tank mounting, etc...

I see lots of sellers for the kits, but nobody has really offerred it as a package deal with a frame.
Maybe because, it's that difficult to find a frame that fits?

Why frame only and not whole bike? Well, I think for most of us we still like to do some cutomization, on the forks, brakes, wheels, hubs, etc...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
if you can't mount the engine in your frame then maybe you don't have what it takes to ride a mb...
Ya know, that sounds harsh at first - but it's the gospel truth as I see it. I don't care if you've a HT or a Morini, a Huffy or a $1500 titanium ride - yer gonna need to work on it and there's no better way than to be "forced" into the steep learning curve involved with matching motor to bike and building it yerself.

I still think that's the point after all... a totally custom built ride. Elsewise just get a beater moped and be done w/it lol Sweet as the GT1 or GT2 may be - they just wouldn't be "mine".

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
if you can't mount the engine in your frame then maybe you don't have what it takes to ride a mb.
it's not that hard to custom fab some stuff if needed.

unless there is not enough space inside your frame to fit the engine then you should be able to figure it out.
Thank you very much for your kind opinion of me... and Happy Holidays! :)

FYI... I have successfully mounted an engine on my bike. Bought the kit first, then find a frame. I went to about 7 bicycle shops using public transport before I was able to find a frame. And when I did found a frame, I had head tube issues, OLD issues, brake issues. Next problem was finding parts, most vendors don't ship internationally, but despite all this, i was able to complete my MB in about a month or so. I'm only trying to point out that it would be a lot more convenient if most kits are offered with a frame and would save a lot of headaches for most MBers wanna be's. It can come as an option to most buyers.

Finding a right frame can be frustrating, and sometimes you have to live with what is available, rather than with the one with what you had in mind...

Maybe for some MBer's, finding a frame is not much of big deal, but it is for me.

If I have offended some members with this thread, I apologize for this.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!!! :)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

No offense intended - or outa been taken for that matter lol, after all - you did build yerself one heh and I bet yer far wiser for the experience ;)

Happy Holidaze to you too man (^)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i'll sell you a frame, mounts, and a kit all ready to bolt together. i guess i'll have to sell you the wheel with the sprocket, too, since those don't always fit either. oh, and pre bent cranks and a coaster brake arm.

can't forget handlebars. you might not have a drill for the throttle hole.

lemme just add this up...

oops, forgot the exhaust. i'm gonna have to bend that for ya.

do you want one of my custom seatposts? that's extra. but i'll give you two for the price of one handlebar.

hopefully, we don't have to get into chain tensioner issues. we could break your bank account with that little thing.

and i can't forget the chain, since you might not have a chain breaker, i'll have to set that up...

lets see, add some extra for incidentals like zipties, old innertube strips, new fender bolts, heat shrink tubing, solder, wire connectors, gotta make you some extra gaskets, mix up some fuel...

jeez, after all that, i might as well just ride it for you too...