Engine stop will not restart

GoldenMotor.com

pnz

Aug 19, 2009
Rosedale, Ca.
Hey Norm,
I searched and read other threads and tried what they did to get there engine going again.
But me no luck.
I have a BikeBerry 66/80 engine broke it in slowly and went for a ride today about 10 miles stopping now and then. 1 mile from house the engine started to sputter and backfire then stalled. From there on it would not start. Check carb it looks good like plenty of gas in float bowl every thing else working fine. It feels like good compression. Thinking it might be the spark plug it is clean and adjusted. Tried a new spark plug still will not go. Disconnected the kill switch still no go. Can the magneto be out of adjustment? Is there anything thing that could have jump time?

Puzzled...

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
yea you could have jumped time. If you look at the mag rotor its keyed with a wood ruff key.
I wonder if you have a good spark and fuel in the carb? can you get fuel to flow out of the carb by using the tickler button on the carb? If you can't and your spark plug is dry I'd see first if you are getting fuel into the engine. Then look at the mag rotor. Could be your tanks fuel strainer is clogged. Your fuel line can look full and not be flowing fuel to the carb. If its been running then just shuts off and won't restart kind of like it ran out of fuel which mine will sometimes do I take the gas tank cap off and pressure up the tank with lung pressure to get the fuel flowing again sounds unsafe and looks funny but it will open up a fuel stoppage. I try to do this where no one can see me doing this like pedal to an alley or back to the house don't need the neighbors thinking I'm so in love with the bike that I'm putting a lip lock on it.
Sounds nasty and it is but I hate to have to pedal when I don't have to.
So far I have not had the tank get a vacuum lock as my gas caps leak when I put too much fuel in the tank. I can take off the gas cap and until I give the tank a little pressure it won't start so I know there is a little booger stopping off the fuel line some where. I have this problem if I let the bike set for a few days and see the fuel line looking dry along with the inline fuel filter being dry looking. Its a caveman way of getting it going but it works just don't inhale when giving the bike's tank a little kiss.
Do not french it either that would be really nasty.
Norman

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Check your leads to the CDI if they're nice and tight pull your plug, connect the plug wire, lay it on the head where you can see the gap, engage the clutch and walk the bike forward to see if you have a good spark.

pnz

Aug 19, 2009
Rosedale, Ca.
I took the carb off and the float tank off checked everything to make sure they moved like float pin and accelerator pin, linkage all seam to be working fine hooked everything back up pushed down on the tickler button till fuel was running out the air filter.
Coil showed 20 and 40 ohms. How would you test spark plug beside sticking it to my tongue while I peddle.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Unhook your kill switch and check again. I've heard of others having problems with theirs going bad.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Both ends of the spark plug wire screwed on tight? Got a new spark plug gapped at 0.020. Then if no spark take off the mag cover take off the mags rotor bolt pull off the mag rotor see if the wood ruff key is sheared if it is you can either make or buy a replacement key they are a metric size but a few minutes with the dremel and a fiber cut off wheel you can work over a wood ruff key to make it fit then its motor time.
You can use a very small dab of super glue to keep the key in place as the magnets in the rotor like to pull the key out of its slot when you try to put the rotor back in place.
Norman

Last edited:

pnz

Aug 19, 2009
Rosedale, Ca.
The magneto seems to be working fine I get amp off of the white wire but nothing off the blue or black. Black looks like ground on the mag, Blue is coming off the top of the mag coil and white at the bottom of the mag coil. I have no spark.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Black is ground, if you're not getting power off the blue wire at all you probably have a bad mag.

pnz

Aug 19, 2009
Rosedale, Ca.
Yes, that is what I have. Just testing all the leds and the blue is not send any amps from mag to coil. Coil is not sending spark to plug.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
kind of sounds like you might have a bad mag coil or a bad cdi. did you take the mag coil off and make sure all the wires are soldered on? one wire is soldered to the frame of the mag coil and is kind of hard to see.

pnz

Aug 19, 2009
Rosedale, Ca.
kind of sounds like you might have a bad mag coil or a bad cdi. did you take the mag coil off and make sure all the wires are soldered on? one wire is soldered to the frame of the mag coil and is kind of hard to see.

Yes, the mag coil is wired right, checked with ohm meter on and off motor.
Actual, it has a wired soldered to the top If I remember right it is blue on the top.
The white is soldered on the bottom, both are soldered to a tab that looks like they are attached to the coiled wires.
The black has a wire connector on it and fasten to the coil arm with one of the four mounting screws.
Today, I tried another new spark plug but no spark.

Where is a good place to get a spark plug for these motors. I went to auto parts stores lawnmower repair shop Closest I came to the right spark plug was a Craftmans lawnmower spark plug but the thread area was to short. I ended up with a Champion automotive plug.

pnz

Aug 19, 2009
Rosedale, Ca.
check the plug first
Yes, that is what I did.
BikeBerry said they will send out a RMA for the CDI.
I will try that next.
Looks like someone needs to make a Chilton Manuel.
With all the spec's and diagnostic.

There should be a way to test the mag coil.

Last edited:

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
Ya really think its the CDI? 9times out of 10 if i have a problem its a fouled plug,i always worry in worst case,the ocd tends to overthink things but fortunatley cleaning or changing the plug has been the fix,sometimes if the clutch wants adjusting it can give you grief as well....Good luck,tell me how you make out.

pnz

Aug 19, 2009
Rosedale, Ca.
Ya really think its the CDI? 9times out of 10 if i have a problem its a fouled plug,i always worry in worst case,the ocd tends to overthink things but fortunatley cleaning or changing the plug has been the fix,sometimes if the clutch wants adjusting it can give you grief as well....Good luck,tell me how you make out.

I sent my old CDI to Bikeberry. They are mailing me a new CDI, so I am guessing it was the CDI.
We will see when I receive it and reinstall it.