Hydraulic disc refit for My Pig

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Apparently you weren't running front discs before so you don't have a good basis for comparison. I'd like to know if there is any real advantage with hydraulics over cable operated discs. I don't know how I could ask for better brakes than I have with Avid BB-7s I have. They'll lock up the front wheel easily so I use them with care.

Are hydraulics really worth the extra work and hassle with fluid, lines and master cylinder?

Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I never had a problem with hydraulic or cable. BB7's are very good brakes. I would say in a great many cases where lets say a untrained fellow would liklely not be able to tell the differance.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Yur gonna clean up those welds a bit? Looking at it from here makes me wanna weld that thing on for you Manic. lol.

Just got through a mess of crates for our shop. Some where around 100 hours of welding? Glad thats done. I feel like I can weld anything ATM.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Apparently you weren't running front discs before so you don't have a good basis for comparison. I'd like to know if there is any real advantage with hydraulics over cable operated discs. I don't know how I could ask for better brakes than I have with Avid BB-7s I have. They'll lock up the front wheel easily so I use them with care.

Are hydraulics really worth the extra work and hassle with fluid, lines and master cylinder?

Tom
Well I DID run a cable operated disc for a while, as least long enough to get bleeding ears from the squealing it did before it pitched the pads completely....
The hydraulic disc is light years above the cable in feel and power!
It feels invisible until you grab a handful, but when you do you really STOP!
I removed the vbrake completely after a 5 min test ride.
These were take offs from a parts bike and I never opened the system so it was no more hassle to install than mechanicals.
Truly MUCH stronger and better control in a panic stop situation.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks, Maniac. I might have to play with the idea. Like I said, my Avid mechanicals are the best brake I've ever run but you can never have too much 'whoa power'.

I've heard others complain about brake noise (squeal) but I've never had that problem and I run discs on all three of my daily drivers. What am I doing right, or wrong?

Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Yeah I was reffering to the BB7's my self. Dunno what kind of cable model Manic has?? Might be nice to know. The BB7 is somthing in a class of it self!

Of course it is easy for me to forget folks are trying to get away with tiny rotors? I have had Hydro's with small rotors that were simply junk to me.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Honestly I have NO CLUE about the brand of the cable caliper.
Cheap Chinese crap is all I know....might even be off a pocketbike or scooter rather than bicycle specific.
The Shimano disc is exactly the same size, but laser straight and clearly much better quality steel. It rings like a bell compared to the old one which clunked.
And I promise you it's MUCH MORE POWERFUL than the cable disc was with much better modulation and feel.
Not a peep of squeal as yet and pad life remains unknown but considering how much I ride, it should be quickly apparent!

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Nice job on the conversion Maniac...

i can agree about the hydraulic vs. cable operated disc brakes as I set mine up with disc brakes and it stopped a little better than the V brakes did but I was on ebay one morning and saw a hayes hydraulic setup for a good price so I got it and installed everything. The difference in stopping power was unreal to say the least, and the feel was a LOT better, no more brake noise, and it feels a lot more motorcycle like with lots of control but lots of stopping power at the same time. I got my setup for the front wheel for $35 brand new off ebay and gotta say it was money well spent, the bike actually stops very reliably from any speed. I'm using a 160mm rotor right now but want to upgrade to a 203mm for more stopping power and to help the pads last longer since they don't have to work as hard to stop the larger rotor. This setup can flip the bike if pulled too hard with 2 fingers tho as is so the larger rotor is more for longevity than stopping power, even tho it will add a considerable amount of additional stopping power once the 203 is installed.