Laws and insurance in AZ

GoldenMotor.com

walaworld

Jan 18, 2012
az
I just installed a kit on my bike (staton friction kit with 50cc). I have been riding it for the last week and I'm starting to get worried about registering it, insurance, and other applicable laws. this is what i found on azdot.gov....

"Moped – A bicycle –human-powered vehicle (with pedals)– with a 50 cc or less helper motor, 1.5 hp or less braking power and rated at maximum top speed of 25 mph (on a flat surface with less than a one per cent grade).
Any class of driver license can be used to operate a moped.
A moped must be registered, but a vehicle title is not issued. Emissions testing is not required. Vehicle liability insurance is required"

I called up my insurance (progressive) and they acted like i was crazy for trying to insure something like this and told me it was uninsurable. I also called the mvd to get a better definition of the law... as always they were no help.

Can anyone help me with knowing how to make my bike legal?

Thank you!

Gen3Benz

May 22, 2009
Phoenix AZ

walaworld

Jan 18, 2012
az
Thank you for the links. It looks like I am legal as far as insurance and registration go. I just hope Mesa doesnt have any additional laws with my bike.

beserkr

Mar 3, 2012
Mesa Az
Hey walaworld, Im in Mesa too. Besides keeping under twenty mph, staying off the side walks, obeying all traffic laws, and not running it to loud , has any cops given u a hard time? Im going to be commuting from greenfield and the 60 to mcclintock and university. I was just wondering because i don't need any more trouble with the law as i just got a dui last December and lost my license already.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
he's an idiot,,,the revised statute that pertains to us is 48cc and <20mph
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/28/02516.htm

quoted from the above link,,,
the last sub-section is the important one,,,I carry a copy on me at all times ;)

"28-2516. Motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles; definition

A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this title:

1. A certificate of title is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

2. Registration is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

3. Vehicle license tax is not imposed on a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

4. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is exempt from the provisions of section 28-964 relating to required equipment on motorcycles and motor-driven cycles and from the provisions of title 49, chapter 3, article 5 relating to vehicle emissions inspections.

5. A driver license is not required to operate a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

6. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle may use rights-of-way designated for the exclusive use of bicycles.

7. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is not subject to chapter 9 of this title.

B. This section does not prohibit a local authority from adopting an ordinance that regulates or prohibits the operation of motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles, except that a local authority shall not adopt an ordinance that requires registration and licensing of motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles.

C. For the purposes of this section, "motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of forty-eight cubic centimeters or less, that may also be self-propelled and that is operated at speeds of less than twenty miles per hour."

Last edited:

beserkr

Mar 3, 2012
Mesa Az
Azbill, they are all idiots! Lol. Like i said though i don't want to get a.ticket or arrested. I talked to a cop on the canal today on my way home from work, he said he has no idea about the laws on the book but to keep peddling while riding if i see another cop besides him and they should leave me alone. I am going to print out about five copies of the link u posted and cross my fingers. Right now my Commute is 13 miles each way to and from work. After five days my.legs are so.sore i can't do anything on the weekends but rest. It sucks because i like to run track and do yard work. I need a brake mid week. not having a license sucks!
Thanks lot though Az bill, great info.

Dreamhammer

Apr 23, 2012
El mirage,AZ
Well I was pulled over here in el mirage and got ticketed for driving a 48 cc motorized bike without a license and they impounded the bike all because the officer said I was going 30 and kept calling it a moped what should I do? I thought the whole point of the 20 mph limit was just a speed limit nothing more nothing less I can seriously use some legal and regular help here guys. Also how many of you have been pulled over?brnot

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Take it to court and fight it. Its a motorized bicycle no mater what the cop says. Let the judge decide and have him embarass the popo by ordering him to return the bike. I went to the DMV here in Chandler with my current ride and attempted to get it regestered by the enforcement officer who deals with special construction MC and such. She stated if it ever was a bike; no matter what you do to it, it will always be a bike as far as they are concerned. There is no way to get it regestered, even as a moped if I went with an extra legal engine size. Which ofcourse: Im going to do anyway...

Dreamhammer

Apr 23, 2012
El mirage,AZ
The officer told me point blank whenever he sees these things he always pulls them over. Also I was told that since I was going 30 (which I wasn't) they classify it as a mopped. As far as I have read I should only be getting a speeding ticket. Also is it true that radar guns are inaccurate with beach cruiser or just bicycles in general?

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
The point is, if you were going over 20.. (doesn't matter if it's only 21) you are not going to get a "speeding ticket" unless you were in a 20mph zone..
The only other thing you will get is an unregistered, uninsured moped (also unlicensed driver if you don't have a license)...
They either get you for speeding or operating the unregistered, etc..
The point was to get people to either use a bike that only goes 20 or use a moped...
If you want to go faster than 20, get a moped.. Simple.