So I got a few questions

GoldenMotor.com

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Hello all! I recently ran into the discovery of motorized bicycles. I never knew they sold engine kits for it! Anyway, I would really like to get into it. I always loved working on my car so I feel this would fit right into the things I love to do.
I found this site: www.PistonBikes.com
Was thinking of getting the "black jet race angle fire" Although I have no idea what's better or not.
So I got a few questions for those of you who use these bikes often. The one I currently use is to small for me, even though I use it to get to class every day. My seat post is well beyond the insertion point. Although it may work I suppose.. Which leads to the next question, is it practical to transfer the engine over to a new bike if I wanted to? (I don't mind the labor time)

The final question being, would it be a terrible idea to leave the bike out in the freezing cold rain and snow? My dorm room doesn't really have room for it and even if it did I think it might stink up the place of gas

On a side note... What do you think of having a 2nd sprocket for higher torque if I wanted to take the bike up the mountain ;)

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Welcome to the forum and the world of Motorized Bicycles. This is a great place to get info and get started in this hobby. If your a gear-head or at least somewhat of one then you'll like this. Piston bikes is a good vendor, I have been going through them for a while. If your considering a kit from them, I'd get this engine kit . The NT carb that comes with the standard kit is much easier to tune and dial in. The race kits use a CNS V2 carb and they are a total mess, not many members like them and end up replacing them with an upgrade.

A far as your bike selection, if your planning on using a new style Mt. bike then it has to have a 18.5'' frame or larger. Newer Mt. bikes pose problems for the carburetor to clear the seat down-tube, and may require an offset intake. You can put your engine kit on almost any 26'' or 29'' bicycle as long as you have the time to do it. I use the paper plate rule, "if a paper plate will fit in the frame then the engine and carb will clear". The benefit of newer bikes is some have disc brakes, which you'll want for piece of mind, they have better and smoother stopping power.

To answer your question about leaving it outside, well, you live in Colorado you should know how the weather can change at any time. Elements will play with your motor a bit over time if not covered properly. If you do leave it outside, and it sounds like your going to, don't be cheap with a lock. PLEASE, PLEASE, buy a Hardened Steel U-lock to protect your investment. These are a hotter commodity then you think; there are too many sad stories about stolen rides. When you start your build make sure to take pictures if you can for the rest of us to see. When your done you can join us for a Denver Area Ride and meet other members in the area and see what your missing. Any questions feel free to ask away, we all did at some point.

Take care,
Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
So my main goal with the bike is to be able to go up steep mountain grades in the mountain trails paths here. Can these engines provide sufficient power for that? With a high tooth sprocket for the torque. The 2nd use (But more common) would be the commute from my dorm room to campus that I already bike normally to. And then once on campus I would just pedal and not use the engine.
I would imagine the extra 25 pounds isn't to bad to pedal around. I'm about 160 pounds as it is. Better workout right? :D Anyway, I posted a 2nd thread in a different area as I'm hoping I figure it is more suitable there. But by all means, I would love as much input as possible! I'm still curious about this going up the mountain thing.

Last edited: