Knog NERD 12 function Speedometer

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I just tested out my new Knog NERD 12 function speedometer. This speedo is kind of a high end unit with a list price of about $80. I paid $58 shipped on eBay. It comes in 5 colors, and I noticed the crappier the color the lower the price. Mine is red like my bike. The black ones seem to cost the most.

Out of the 12 functions, I'm really only interested in about 6, or 7 of them. Two of the biggies are, 1. It's wireless, and it's advertised as very resistant to outside interference. 2. It has a backlight. It's hard to find a good bicycle speedometer with a backlight. This is the only one I have that has one.

Other than those two functions, I want a speedo of course, odometer, and trip meter. It also has a clock, which I've found to be a nice feature in the past, and it records max speed, which is good for bragging rights.

Features I don't care much about are, capability to be set up for 2 different bikes. Average speed, relative speed, total riding time, plus a scan feature. It also records daily milage, which automatically resets each day.

Some of my other speedos have a built in thermometer, but this one doesn't, and no kitchen sink either.

It's very easy to install in minutes, with no tools. Both the sending unit, and speedo are encased in surgical rubber. Set up is the same as most other speedos, where you measure the circumference of the wheel, and enter the value in millimeters into the computer.

Now for the operation,

First off, the advertising claim is true, this speedo really is resistant to outside interference. A big problem with using wireless speedos on motor bicycles is RF interference from the spark plug. I didn't notice any at all, up to 30 mph. We're going to have to wait a while to find out about maximum speed till I finish breaking in my motor, but it's looking real good.

The display is large, and very easy to read in bright daylight, and has big easy to read numbers. The backlight feature can be turned on and off. When activated, the backlight comes on for 5 seconds by pressing the screen. Pressing the screen in backlight mode doesn't toggle the functions unless you press the screen a second time while the backlight is lit. The backlight itself is a sexy blue color. When the backlight feature is turned off, only one touch toggles the functions.

That's the good.

There is one thing I don't like about this speedometer, and it's bugged me on some other bicycle speedometers too. Although it shuts off automatically, you have turn it on by pressing the screen if it's timed out, and turned off by itself. It automatically turns itself off after no operation for 15 minutes. I really much prefer, you just start riding and it starts all by itself.

So in conclusion, even in spite of the one thing I don't like, I give still this speedo 2 thumbs up.

Here's another review if you're interested.

http://www.thefootdown.co.uk/2010/03/08/knog-nerd-review/

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have also had interference problems with wired cyclocomputers. I currently use a smartphone as a gps speedo, but may use a mechanical speedo on my next bike if I can find an accurate one.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
There's a gauge called the Trail Tech Vapor Gauge. It's $130, (so obviously pricier than your computer), and has an optional dash that includes 4 :confused: indicator lights, including turn signals. The gauge itself has a speedo, max speed, trip and total odometer, a clock, and what would be REALLY useful for our bikes: A thermometer AND tachometer with a shift light.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
There's a gauge called the Trail Tech Vapor Gauge. It's $130, (so obviously pricier than your computer), and has an optional dash that includes 4 :confused: indicator lights, including turn signals. The gauge itself has a speedo, max speed, trip and total odometer, a clock, and what would be REALLY useful for our bikes: A thermometer AND tachometer with a shift light.
My main problem with a Vapor is it's not wireless, and I don't need most of it's features. Plus you have to hard wire it a outside power source.