2nd build.. opinions please?

GoldenMotor.com

Gutz

Feb 16, 2014
Muscle Shoals Al.
I built one of the Statton roller drives.. somebody stole it, it was a fun little thing to run around around with the Greenline cruiser fram.. however, I'm a pretty good sized fella, 6' 4" 240 lbs.. I want a bigger bigger bike, more power.. I may even register it, although I've never had any problems with the local cops in Alabama the laws is still sketchy on these things.. some should start a lobby :) anyhow.. I'm thinking this time to go over the top with a stretched limo style, 26 or 29 incher with the frame low to the ground.. maybe a bobber, chopper hybrid type thing.. and I may be nutz but I'm considering doing it with one of these guys.. a 250cc Lifan v-twin...

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-90588588207776_2270_145583362

so I'm kind of asking I guess, do you more experienced cats think I should even try this? I know that's a lot of motor and I would need to do reinforcements and some mods and stuff.. but.. well.. you know.. ain't skeered laff

also, my name is Randy.. folks call me Gutz.. hello to all..

This hobby has come a long way since my first build around 5 years ago.. lots of frame options, aftermarket parts.. kits, engines.. I have a feeling this is going to be very cool..

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
You might look at the little 4 cycle engines if you would like a bike that is a bit more substantial... still not a motorcycle but superior to the chinagirl class in most ways.
Best
rc

Gutz

Feb 16, 2014
Muscle Shoals Al.
part of.. a big part of it in a way is the aesthetics of that V-Twin.. I read through a thread on here of a cat (Labrat) that put 2 99cc engines in 1 of these guys.. I have no doubt he faced more challenges than I would.. a V-Twin, even if it's a smaller one would br the ultimate in this kind of build I think.. even if I never got it out of 3rd gear... Friday I ordered a Grubee Skyhawk 4G kit and was going to grab a 29" Astra this week.. after reading through a bunch of the threads here I'm having second thoughts.. I don't really want to build another toy.. thanks for the reply Rusty

Last edited:

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
That V twin is a nice motor, however maybe a little large to put in a push bike?
Over 14" wide and 95 lb.
She'd be a beast!

Gutz

Feb 16, 2014
Muscle Shoals Al.
Have any of you guys ever heard of a build with a drive shaft vs a belt or a chain? a drive shaft with a swing arm would allow me to mount a mono-shock on this puppy, relieve stress on the frame and make a nice clean look.. I'm brainstorming again laff

Last edited:

Gutz

Feb 16, 2014
Muscle Shoals Al.
after spending the entire day researching this project I've come to the conclusion it isn't feasible.. this engine has numerous, and thankfully, pretty well documented issues...

maybe I'll try and find a Hispano Villiers (I wish) back to the drawing board.. that was a waste of a day but I learned much... far from giving up though.. I'll likely delete this thread.. sorry guys.. I can torch and grind and weld.. can't perform miracles

Gutz

Feb 16, 2014
Muscle Shoals Al.
the Grubee Skyhawk 4GT showed up this morning.. I gotta say I'm shocked and impressed with the quality of this kit for the money they sell it for.. some of it is a little on the cheesy side but overall I'd give it a thumbs up.. this kit is going into a Genesys Astra 29"er to replace the one that was stolen.. my running around doing errands machine...

I'm still going to do a custom.. the V is out so now I'm looking at McCullough engines for the stretch.. maybe the Lifan 110.. Yamaha 110? LOL!!! I want this guy to have a retro look so I'd like to find some kind of an old American made opposing pistons engine all finned out.. good luck right? I'm always open to any ideas...

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There are manufacturers in India still doing old Yamaha twins, and there's even a Chinese cheese copy of the old Jawa 250 twin port being made.

Chang Jiang also still make a copy of a 1937 BMW sidevalve 750.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Nice rounded fins? Smooth cases? Even got an ally shroud to polish up? Come on, show us a picture of one.

Gutz

Feb 16, 2014
Muscle Shoals Al.
I'd like to have a look at the Jawa but can't find them.. the chinese engine.. I'll see what I can do on the pic.. haven't bought it yet but it's an option.. an overkill option really.. I'm leaning more to the retro look and obviously the rotax isn't it.. I've spent the day scouring through what people are using in ultralights, R/C and kart stuff, outboards, chainsaws, old weedeaters, you name it.. I'll find the right one eventually

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Try some of the old US minibike pages, there were some interesting reed valve engines in the early 1960s.

How big an engine do you need, anyway? There are tiny Rice & Ohlssons, going up to 100 and more cc in chainsaws.

Gutz

Feb 16, 2014
Muscle Shoals Al.
in reality probably nothing bigger than 100cc on a 2 stroke, I'm not suicidal :) I've been looking at chainsaws, lots of them.. some nice McCullough engines but I think folks know they are big with kart racers and think they are worth their weight in gold.. I have one in my ebay watch list now (100cc Mac) that looks pretty nice.. it hasn't gone through the roof yet but you never know.. some of the Kawasaki engines from the 70's look promising as well... I appreciate the input Ludwig.. I'm going to do this.. it all starts with the right engine IMO..

Last edited:

Gutz

Feb 16, 2014
Muscle Shoals Al.
I kind of quit thinking on that.. belt drives are too easy and inexpensive these days.. I have an idea I'm chewing on that would allow the monoshock with a belt.. that engine you posted is sharp.. how come nobody makes stuff like that anymore? right now these chinese kits are flooding and killing the market, most of the kits on ebay look like junk..

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Part of the problem of finding good motors is that the bottom end of the market is dominated by the throwaway mentality, like so much in the world today. There are probably proper timber industry saws as an example, that would provide a much better engine than the lightweights, but it would cost substantially more.

There is one suggestion I can off, don't search for "vintage" engines. "Vintage" or "Classic" make people think $$$; try using words like old or used or second hand. If you have an old car, a scrap man will pay you for the metal. If you have a classic car, some herbert will come hundreds of miles to collect it and pay a lot more.