bicycle rear wheel problems

GoldenMotor.com

Matty Skacore

May 1, 2014
Bakersfield, Ca
I need help my rear wheel broke while I was riding, when i pedal the crank freely moves but it doesnt move the rear wheel. The casset moves freely instead of resisting when you push forward. It is on a single speed mountain bike btw

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Sounds like you've got either broken pawls in the cassette, or they are all stuck and aren't engaging which could happen if you greased them up too heavy. Have you recently done any servicing of the cassette like taking it apart for lube? If they are over greased, easy fix. If they are busted, you'll most likely be looking at a new hub. Are you driving this with a shift kit or sprocket on the left side? Photos?

KoOni

Aug 14, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Huh, I've never had that happen on a bike before. I'm still entirely new to motorized bikes, but this sounds like a problem that has nothing to do with the motorized part (unless maybe you have a shiftkit? o_O really no clue if that makes a difference.)

The first thing that comes to mind is that maybe you had taken the wheel off, removed the sprocket, and then when putting it back together somehow put it on the wrong side so that the wheel is turning the wrong way, basically doing the same thing as back-pedaling/coasting?

Really no clue as I have little experience with this, but just a guess.

edit: knightscape sounds like he knows more than I do on this, probably better advice than I just gave.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Replace the cassette. Bike shop has the tool needed to remove the broken one. Any will work regardless of number of gears. Just adjust derailleur to match.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
seen this a lot - that clickety sound when you're doing 30+mph wears those pawls to a nub after a while