lights that run off the white wire no battery needed

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Mounted my taillight to the reflector tabs on the rack and the headlight to my fender. I did hafta remember to put a connector inline in case I wanted to pull the fender and/or rack - but it's easy 'nuff

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol - I dunno if I should be offended or flattered... but as I'm an old 'Road Warriors' fan I'll take it as a complement :D

I really do think norm's lights add more than just the ability to see at night, they "finished" the build for me. Here's an older pic just for the heck of it (pre lights);

Attachments

billy02

Oct 4, 2009
Tucson, Az
Hey There Folks; I got one of Norms' light kits awhile back & I'm really happy with results. I filed the spark plug lead to a pointed cone & gapped the point at .025 & the lights work at idle without having the engine "racing". My main concern here in Tucson is the occasional hole in the road that is just big enough to grab your front wheel while you keep right on goin' head over handlebars!!! With Norms' light I can see the road ahead of me quite clearly. Thanks Norm for a fine light kit!!!
Billy02

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I stopped making the skull lens.
The mold for making the skull ring has bit the dust.
They are no longer available.
Norman

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I stopped making the skull lens unless someone just has to have one.
I'll include the skull lens ring until they are gone only 2 left.
the mold for making the skull ring has just about bit the dust.
Norman
Guess that means I will have a collectors item. I am keeping mines!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I haven't tried it yet. My car was in the shop so the bike was my only way around. I didn't want to mess with it. I found the paint for the skull ring like you described. I guess I am glad I got one. I will keep the original ring too in case it breaks someday.

The light looks cool.

Billy, how does that work, filing down the strap on the spark plug? Does it reduce electrical resistance, so you have more juice for the light?

I'm running spark plug Champion Marine 821-1/L77jc4 gapped at 35/1000, on a 48cc grubee. No change in top speed, but it seems to pull hard and makes exciting dirt bike noises now that I gave it a little more fuel via the carb needle setting.

Happy do your lights work ok?

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
If your asking about the led bulb? search on line or at most places that sell flashlight bulbs will also sell led bulbs.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Quick FYI - tho Walmart sells a "replacement multi-volt LED for flashlights/lanterns" supposedly able to run off as little as 3v (2 C batt or w/e) and costing about $9 - for some strange reason it doesn't work off the white wire (Norm's lights).

It'll flash once then nothing, I've wondered if it was a lack of amperage or even an AC/DC thang - w/e the case it works fine in my 2 D cell flashlight, but not off the white wire.

It could be simply defective in some fashion (tho you'd think the flashlight would cover that), still - I've not bothered to get another as I'm cheap & lazy... and the bulb that comes with Norm's light works fine ;)

I'll update this w/a part number when I get home ifn yer curious - jus' remember to get a receipt heh

'Nite Ize' D&C LED Upgrade "operates 2-6 cell" part# LRB-07-PR *shrug*

Last edited:

OrangeBrian

Jun 30, 2009
hawaii
Quick FYI - tho Walmart sells a "replacement multi-volt LED for flashlights/lanterns" supposedly able to run off as little as 3v (2 C batt or w/e) and costing about $9 - for some strange reason it doesn't work off the white wire (Norm's lights).

It'll flash once then nothing, I've wondered if it was a lack of amperage or even an AC/DC thang - w/e the case it works fine in my 2 D cell flashlight, but not off the white wire.

'Nite Ize' D&C LED Upgrade "operates 2-6 cell" part# LRB-07-PR *shrug*

dose it still work after u took it out of norms light? also what can you do to make it work?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
K - as there's been some interest in this I decided to delve a bit deeper and as it turns out the bulb is defective, the plastic "bulb" containing the LED and the metal base (- ground) are slightly loose... if I "squish" them together as they would be in a flashlight (batts and spring) it works - if there's no pressure (soldered connection) it doesn't (I didn't actually try it on the bike tho, bench testing lol).

Freakin' Walmart junk

Tempted tho I may be to get another and try it, Norm's light has been workin' great for thousands of miles now... I figure I'm just gonna leave it alone heh

But hey - thanks for "forcing" me to get off'n my butt and figure it out lol

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I tried the $9.00 LED bulb it wasn't very bright. I haven't tried the $20.00 LED bulb from Walmart.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I am very familiar with the NiteIze Maglite replacement led bulb. I use them in camping mag lights and at work. They have a very white light and focused beam. Great for walking, but absolutely poor for bicycling. The frequency of light is pleasant, but does not return information you need to steer around things like tire carcasses in the road.