centrifugal clutch coasting

GoldenMotor.com

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
you can think of a centrifugal clutch as an automatic clutch (it basically is) if you give no throttle it stays unenegaged, but as soon as you give it some gas the engine revs up and the palls in the centrifugal clutch let out and grab the bell, completing the linkage from engine to wheel. if the wheel is spinning (I.E. you are rolling) and you let off the throttle the centrifugal clutch automatically lets go, and you begin coasting.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
you can think of a centrifugal clutch as an automatic clutch (it basically is) if you give no throttle it stays unenegaged, but as soon as you give it some gas the engine revs up and the palls in the centrifugal clutch let out and grab the bell, completing the linkage from engine to wheel.

if the wheel is spinning (I.E. you are rolling) and you let off the throttle the centrifugal clutch automatically lets go, and you begin coasting.
Yes it will coast at idle but the 7G (Ghost Racer) has no freewheel in the system but the clutch, which means when coasting there will be some drag through the belt system to the clutch bell, more than holding in the clutch on a 2-stroke and coasting I have found by just rolling both types around, but that depends on how well that bushing on the engine shaft is allowing the clutch bell/pulley to spin.

It is however far less drag than just letting off the gas on a 2-stroke without pulling in the clutch so as mentioned, make sure you have GOOD BRAKES!

That's easy to test with your 2-stroke.
Every time you let off the throttle lock your clutch in and see how well you stop without engine drag.

Last edited: