Evolution of rust; a bear naked Coupe De Ville.

GoldenMotor.com

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Picked this turd up from the barn in the story book. You know the one where the old man has a few hundred epic bicycles and to get the one gotten was to pull teeth from a lion. Yeah that's the place.

Here's the bicycle.

On closer inspection complete with cracked joint at the down tube and crank. And if that were not enough; dissembled a doggie repair on the fork neck can be seen. As I said it was a turd a $250 turd.

On the other hand I have no problem motorizing a turd because it is hardly a restoration class bicycle.

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'll put my hands up now and admit I'd have taken it to a commercial shot blaster, I know what hard work is, and I leave it to others these days.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Parts what about the parts. Ok lets start with an order to sick bike parts dot com for a wide crank conversion. I have found this to be superior to all other conversion kits and parts.

** Parts show well on that hardwood floor.

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
those monarks always have that seperation on the seat tube/bb joint. it's how they're made.

i had one sitting around for a while with ten coats of house paint on it which preserved it from rust. but i also own a sand blast cabinet so what took you days, took me hours. it's an awesome tool.

funny thing, after i stripped mine to raw steel, i sprayed it all down with hydrogen perixide mixed with salt to make it rusty. then clear coated it and traded it for a complete but non running 1969 honda cl175 scrambler.

i'll try to get some pics up. computer dont work and cant resize them with my phone...

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Yeah we strapped this one with a ratchet strap and pulled it down tight then wizzkid welded her up. Looks really nice. I may pull some brass around the joint just to blend it a bit.

No blasting on this frame. Looking for a weathered; not so much rusted - unfinished, raw aged steel appeal. A media blaster would have cleaned it up to much. Ruined the slight rusted spots, taken them to metal.

I am aware of the process you are speaking to on your build and I encourage you to find and post those pictures. There is talk here in this very shop of giving a build a blast and acid bath. We can walk to the salt water... dock is down the street; we have a near steady mist 4 months each year. It's just something that must be done. Post your pix. Lets see.

For all reading this. I am not done working the steel bits. I just couldn't wait to bust out some pix. Its about idk 85-90% processed. But all I got to do is see it in white daylight and the untreated spots where previous paint/primer still clings pop out. Id say I have a few more weeks of an hour here and there after work of rub a dub, acid, sos pads and water, wet sand dub.

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
12g front all steel wheel arrived. Setup for a disk.

Be clear this is a HD 100% steel wheel and hub for an ISO disk. I have chosen a quality disk.

A special front wheel design in steel with 12g spokes ordered and landed by Lynn of

http://custommotoredbicycles.com/

A Big THANKYOU Lynn for getting this done and making it available to the MB community; this is one awesome front wheel design!

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Quite the project...
A few years ago I had free access to a pile of bikes accumulated over a number of years which were city dump saves in Ely, Minnesota. Lots and lots of bikes, most of which were of no interest at all, but there were some jewels including a 1939 Hiawatha, a 51 Schwinn and a 50's Monarch Deluxe. My friend fasteddy was a Monarch guy and had already restored one and built a replica Chris Craft boat sidecar for it. So I passed this new to me Monarch along to him. Compared to yours the one I gave him looked new.

To the uninitiated one might question spending $250.00 on a beat up- old bicycle... but once you are done and mention what you paid for it initially the response will be "what a steal!!!" Unlike old Schwinns, there are not all that many old Monarchs around and what they cost is substantial. Back in the day they were to die for bikes, right up there in status with Schwinn Panthers and Phantoms. They were on a lot of Santa wish lists and not that many wishes were granted. Big bucks always.

I love seeing things get saved that deserve saving. Your "turd" is one of them. I understand that what you want to achieve is not what classic bike restoration guys have in mind... trying to make it look like it just rolled out of the factory and paint isn't cured yet. But it will be cared for and given a new life. I've seen some of your work and look forward to seeing this bike in it's second incarnation. Do you know yet what motor it will get? Belt drive or chain? Fatty tires or what? What fun it must be for you to sit back with that creative stare and see what it will be in your mind's eye. I'm signing on for this ride...
SB

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Motors... Yikes! We have in the shop two new in the box 99cc predators and one out the box and used. Then there is a 4hp flat top Briggs and a few others I care not to mention because they are not up for consideration on this build.

It will be the Predator or the Briggs. I really liked the way the flat top looks on a Rat named Ward. I am leaning toward that 4hp Briggs but will remain un decided until mock up. Until then I have a wheel to lace and some metal to love on some more.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Quite the project...
Belt drive or chain? Fatty tires or what? SB
We have an EZM on the shelf and also the ability to custom fabricate anything we want.

Then there is the wild card idea. Something I have never used but always intended on and that's the Sportsman Flyer BTR crank set.

Be it a bit pricy when built with the suggested bully clutch. $250 plus $250. Regardless of the cost I earned it, all of it, it is mine to spend and Pat's parts are top shelf.

Full belt drive is something I have not attempted and at this point remain only somewhat interested. I am aware that it will be done at some point. If only because we can and have not.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Your taking the right path on the Monark. The chrome bill on the restoration I did was $650 and I didn't have everything done such as the rims. I'm sure going to be watching this build.

Steve.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Oh its not getting chrome.... its getting aged raw steel lacquered. Chrome on a few bits and bolts. And the front rim and rear rim ring and spokes are new. No worries because when I ride the crap out of her I will not wash the wheels or hubs. Have it matching in no time. Should be functional art.

Taking a frame and fenders to the blaster and paying for powder coat ... not my game. Not really art - to me. Well admittedly I did it once. 50s Roadmaster. I am still looking at the frame and forks. I never assembled the bike. It just looks strange to me in powder coat. Its just a display piece now. Cant build it or sell it....wont sell anything, don't, not going to.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Wow!

That bike really has nice lines & proportion! Classic Americana.

I don’t normally spout unsolicited opinions, but I think the Briggs would suit it better...

In any regard, a worthy project- I’m looking forward to seeing your progress!

-Kirk