FLYING HORSE good deal

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
dunno, inflated hp ratings, 2011 bone-shaker crankshafts, no cali shipping, etc

I'd prefer sashawigs2009 or rose326 on ebay.

Dooly

Nov 16, 2014
Arlington Tennessee
Maybe the title should have been "good deal If you are looking for a Flying Horse"
I don't recall reading anything too negative about them but the HP rating is pretty ridiculous ! In my research it seems like there are several factories producing 2 strokes and honestly there are so many different opinions that I could not really tell which was considered the best. Except maybe the Grubee, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.

I've even read where some people order a particular brand and they ship them a completely different one. So I came to the conclusion it was a crap shoot any way I went.

Mine actually runs strong and smooth so far. Haven't had any shaking yet. But this is my first so I don't have anything else to compare it to. I got mine on eBay $137 free shipping. Was packed real good and nothing damaged. Maybe I lucked up!

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I think my last engine was from rose326. It was somewhere around $140-150 and packaged well.

I was pleased to see that it had a few small upgrades from previous engines I'd bought. Nothing Earth-shaking. But small improvements.

I was impressed.

That engine lasted about 2 years. My earlier engines did about the same. That might not even sound like much. But it's decent enough when they're so inexpensive to replace.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yeah, just got 12 kits from sashawigs2009 & he added long clutch arms & new tensioners that only need one hand to adjust & got me the wide front mount for cruisers

Dooly

Nov 16, 2014
Arlington Tennessee
So what brand engine kit are these two eBay sellers supplying ? Mine came with the wide front motor mount and adapter, clutch arm is long and curved, chrome heat shield on muffler, Japanese bearings, clutch lever with the button. What other upgrades are available.

When I was looking to buy I probably didn't consider these because they come disassembled. Maybe not the best for first time builder.

I honestly would like to know, what is so much better than Flying Horse, or is this just one of those opinion debates.

I do not have have the knowledge or experience other than what I read. That's why I'm asking.

What specifically is different about the motors you mention?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
after 6 years doing this, I see little diff in 'brands' - really not sure there is such a thing except for some person's choices in selecting parts to put together as a kit and then declaring a name for that kit (but the parts often change over time)

the seller is some business guy that has probably never seen the parts of a kit directly, more likely just as a picture in some email from a factory

I order from a supplier, and if there are no substandard parts, I'll get more to sell. I'm a bit pickier since I sell face to face with the customer, but have a supplier that sends me acceptable kits.

EDIT: BTW, I used to like the top end disassembled so I could see how everything was, but now my guy just takes the head off.

Last edited:

Dooly

Nov 16, 2014
Arlington Tennessee
Sounds like you found a good supplier that will give you good service.

I have the utmost respect for the opinions of builders like you and others who have put in the time on a daily basis with these kits. You have listed some good information. People like me search this forum for guidance as to which engines and kits have proven to be the best before we buy. If another newcomer reads this post and your first reply he/she might get the impression that Flying Horse is an inferior engine and kit. I think that might be a disservice to them. I haven't read anything here specifically indicating that is the case. As you said there doesn't seem to be much difference in the engines themselves mainly the accessories that come with them. I can understand why "no Cali shipping" would be a deal breaker for someone living in Cali but around here that's actually a good thing when it comes to engines and guns too. All I can say is so far it has worked well for me and might for others too. But hey, what do I know? I guess any of them could blow out tomorrow !

$129 + shipping with 6 months warranty still seems like a good deal to me....Dooly

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you're right in that it is the kind of kits we were all finding acceptable back in 2011 - they will still do today everything they did then, and we were happy to get them

there have been a few improvements since then (most notably the balanced crankshafts), but they will still run OK

Dooly

Nov 16, 2014
Arlington Tennessee
Oh ok , thanks for the clarification. If (WHEN) this one goes out I will look for one with balanced crank. Don't know about this one but if that's a new improvement since 2011 thien i would say no.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
No factory is selling true balanced crank engines. Some are simply better than others.
I prefer rose for standard 38mm stroke engines.
I like the GenV 40mm stroke engines MotorBicycleRacing and some others sell for any performance build.
Brand names mean nothing to me. Why pay extra for a sticker or a cheap riveted plate?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
No factory is selling true balanced crank engines.
yeah, I usually refer to them as machined cranks since that work is easy to see and there are many ways to balance cranks to get diff desired results - but they always do run smoother (perhaps just because they're lighter) and folks seem used to the term 'balanced' now : (

typically, these have the smaller mains on them too

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
My Flying Horse vibrates like crazy, but has been very good. Will climb almost any hill in town carrying $40 worth of groceries home. If I knew what I know now I would have built a 79cc 4 stroke predator. Mixing oil and fuel gets old fast. Use red permatex thread locker on everything. Soldering iron can supply enough heat to remove a bolt. Red permatex has a lower remove temp than red Loctite