4 Stroke HS Carb...

GoldenMotor.com

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Has anyone ever rebuilt one of these...like we would do on the old cars we used to have? Remember going out and buying a "kit" with all the gaskets and whatever we needed to rebuild the carbs on our cars/trucks. Do these exist or are they needed with the HS 4 stroke engines? Would you have the steps I would need to do this? Unlike living in an apartment complex without a garage previously...I will be putting in some gas stabilizer in the tank on my MB and my lawnmower this year to prevent this from happening again.

The reason I'm asking is that when I started the bike up in June...gas was shooting out of the hoses...so I started thinking the float is stuck or the jet is clogged from sitting with a cover for the year. Has anyone ever taken one apart and let it soak in carb cleaner...then put it back together? Would a small engine repair or lawn mower repair be able to do this...especially since it seems these 4 stroke carbs are hard to come by. When I contacted Birddog back in July...they had no replacements and no idea when/if they would be available.

Thanks!

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
All you have to do is pull the bowl and the main jet and clean them. Don't even have to remove the carb.
The HS carb gets fouled easily - mostly because of the tiny passageways in the jets.

Removing the carb and spraying carb cleaner/blasting air through the disassembled jet won't hurt, but you have to make sure it's very clean when you put it back together.
Also, there should be 3 intake gaskets between carb and block - take care with them!
That seems almost idiot proof that I can do it. ;) That means if you don't bother taking it off...you don't have to adjust the idle or anything else.

I'm on my 3rd carb with my HS. The first two went bad and never worked properly again after about 10 cleanings.
I suppose it's a good thing that there are a couple members who make HS intakes that take the (quite trouble-resistant) chinagirl carb!
Does that mean you're using a 2 Stroke carb on your 4 Stroke??? If so...tell me more...like where to get the parts and the cost to do this.

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
Yes the carb can and should be cleaned ( submerged in good quality carburetor cleaner if you want the entire carb to be cleaned properly ) . Getting the replacement carburetor parts may be a bit of a pain but if you have the number off the carburetor and the motor you should be able to get the replacement parts inexpensively. however I wouldn't attempt a total rebuild or proper cleaning until you are absolutely sure you have the correct parts in your hand.
I do agree that most of the time you can get away with doing less and you may end up with no choice but to do a spray can cleaning however once you let fuel dry up in the carb and the rest of the fuel system it is more likely to become an annoyance with repetitive issues coming up.
also if your the float was stuck open be sure to change your oil as it is most likely contaminated with fuel. dried fuel will become corrosive and eat away at those fine passageways and internal parts of your carburetor and engine . if your lucky a simple spray and clean may help.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
THANK YOU!!! For the cost of this...it would be roughly about the same cost as just a replacement 4 Stroke carb. Plus...there are tons of these 2 Stroke carbs available...so you gave me an option I didn't know I had.

One question...if I got the manifold...could/would I want to use one of the better 2 Stroke carbs for even better performance or would the stock "NT" carb be fine as a replacement?

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
According to what others here have found, the stock NT would be fine.
I haven't done the conversion yet, but it is on my list of things to do.
It's on my list as well as I have a couple of the special intakes here a few new NT carbs as it's tough to pass them up for ~$8 delivered.

I have a new HS 142 build (Ghost rider) so I guess I should try it out and stick a new HS carb aside for a rainy day ;-}

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
[/IMG]

Here's the HS with an $18 NTTC. Intake by Brad.
Have made the decision that I'm going to get one of these when I get paid on the 15th. Since this will future proof needing to deal with a hard-to-find carb with one I can order for $20 or less...I see it as the only way to go. $55 is a lot of money for a teacher's aide...but if I can have a way to get around which is also fun...that's made my mind up. Too bad I didn't know about this until I posted my issue.

With it being Fall Break starting next week(with 2 1/2 weeks off)...should have time to get it on...change the oil and put a new throttle on it at the same time...so will be able to at least ride it a little bit before the snows hit. When the snows hit...will have the bike set up with fuel stabilizer...in case I decide I don't want to ride it when it's too cold. At least I'll have a garage this winter...rather than an old Yamaha MC cover.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Got a source? Will be ready to order on the morning of the 15th as soon as my check is deposited in the account.
Check e-bay as I think you can get them for around $15 there, I get mine from http://gasbike.net for $19 if have to, but I take advantage of a little back door if you buy their 'box of parts' engine kits often enough that I seldom need to buy parts piecemeal anymore.

They list all 27 parts in an engine kit on the shopping cart page and you can add more of whatever parts you may want by just adjusting the count at 55% off and free shipping.

I've managed to build up a pretty nice supply of all the fuel and electrical parts this year ;-}

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Got the new intake manifold and the NT carb installed today...along with changing the spark plug and the oil. Want to see what I got done today...take a look at my album.

Rode it around the neighborhood and turned quite a few heads. Now...will be cleaning the whole bike up before the end of the week...as well as getting some fingernail polish to do some touch ups on the frame and to cover some of the rust spots and grime from sitting for 2 years.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
phoobarnvas... How well did my new manifold & NT carb work for you?? :)
To quote The Mask..."Smokin'"!

It was 1st rate with no issues with the carb fitting...like I have with other 2-strokes manifolds which come stock with the kits. Actually...it took me much longer to get the old 4-stroke carb off than it did to put this one on and get the carb fitted.

To say I am pleased...would not be able to adequately say how happy I was to be able to ride for the 1st time in 2 years. Hope you guys sell a ton of those. I ever do another 4-stroke build for myself or help with someone else's...I will make sure they use this manifold.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
phoobarnvas... How well did my new manifold & NT carb work for you?? :)
Wanted to let you know that I did a 20 mile ride out to Black Forest this afternoon after putting $1.50 of premium in. Loved being able to let everyone filling up at the time that I wanted to put that amount in my bike...especially with running out of gas about 1/2 mile away. ;) People were looking at the bike and me riding around like they'd never seen anything like it before.

As for how it ran...did pretty good on climbing the hills. Going down the hills...had to lay off the throttle to keep it from getting out of control. The only bad thing which happened is I almost took a header into the ditch when I misjudged how fast I was going while trying to turn around at a corner. Scared me...but the ride home was basically downhill and was nice on this sunny day. Just the looks were worth it all the way there. Plus...it felt so great getting out on my pride and joy.

Anyone who wants to do this to their 4-stroke...DO IT! It is so worth it. Believe I can get some more power out of it...if I can find a small engine tech from church who can properly set the idle or rejet it for 6000 ft here in Colorado Springs.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Just wondering if the Honda GXH 50 has the same problum?..........Curt
Never having owned one...I can't personally vouch if it does or doesn't. For some reason...seem to remember reading how the Honda engine's carb needs to be changed out with the HS carb to get the same power the HS has. Seems to be that the Honda carb isn't designed to run like the HS with a throttle being able to change the power output. I could be 1000% wrong on this...but it seems like that is the reason the HS carbs were being used on the Honda engines.

While I love my new setup...am wondering if someone could tell me how they found the 2-stroke carbs would work on a 4-stroke with a modified manifold? Personally...I think it's a stroke of genius that someone discovered and started making/selling the manifolds to be able to do this. The Venice manifold I got is the smartest thing they ever sold. Was worth every penny!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
A carb is a carb and the function is to feed gas so don't really make a difference if the engine is 2 or 4 stroke. You can even run a chain saw carb on a 4 stroke if you drill for a puls line for the pump,then the tank can be mounted anywere.

What is sad is they done away with ajustable jets and went to fixed jets so now you have to chane or drill them,were you just had to ajust them before...........Curt