Help with tires for my Sportsman 80!

GoldenMotor.com

Spumoni

Sep 15, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm in the process of getting a beautiful Sportsman 80 from Sportsman Flyer - Pat has been really fun to work with, and has been really helpful in answering my questions on a daily basis! I couldn't recommend him high enough. If anyone is on the fence for one of these bikes, DO IT!

I have 26x2.5 Worksman rims, and I really love the look of a retro tire. My fear is the Quick Brick tires (I read they have a soft bead) may not be safe enough for 40 mph, so my other choice Bontrager Hank Tire bi-compound.

Any advice or recommendations would be helpful!

Also, can I put 2.5 inch tubes in a 2.2 inch tire?

Thanks in advance.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I know Continental do bicycle sized tyres with speed ratings in Europe. Perhaps talking to your local or American distributor may be helpful. Or not.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I checked with Continental for the availability of KHS tires in USA. Their response is that they are not distributed here. They recommended finding a European vendor willing to ship.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
What speeds are they rated at, what psi, and what vehicle weight? And finally, are they affordable and easy to get hold of?

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Test rode the 1911 Indian "Red Skin" and hit 53 Held up fine! I put the Avineer Thorn Proof tubes and PSI was 60 LB. Electra tires are sold by Electra Bicycles and they are in the Medium Price range, I Love Em!

Oh! Sorry No Pc's of spd run too Scared! LOL!

Attachments

Last edited:

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
g'day there Spumoni ,

all i can say is if PAT run's the quick brick tire on alot of his bike's then why would you be worried they not good enough
enjoy your sportsman 80 i guessing you will well done and yes pat is one of the finest i agree i see he running the Maxxis Hookworms in 26 x 2.50 on his sportsman 80 must be better then the quick brick they are wider too

Last edited:

Spumoni

Sep 15, 2014
Upstate NY
Hello hsvmick - Pat mentioned that he felt the beads were a tad soft on the quick bricks, so I ended up going with the Bontrager Hanks with a heavy duty tube. I still don't have the bike yet, so I can't really give a review yet...

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Hello hsvmick - Pat mentioned that he felt the beads were a tad soft on the quick bricks, so I ended up going with the Bontrager Hanks with a heavy duty tube. I still don't have the bike yet, so I can't really give a review yet...
I have the standard Bontrager H2 26x2.0's on one of my bikes and the sidewalls are not as strong as I'd like but the Hanks look good and weigh 715 grams vs. the H2's 568 grams so they should be a little tougher. The Bontrager H2 Hard-Case Ultimates in 26x2.0 are nice and beefy at 1080g. They may be my next tire for me to test but they're a little pricey at $44.99. They should have excellent flat protection if nothing else.

I wish they listed weight ratings like car tires. I'd like to put a two person seat on one of my bikes but I don't trust any of the tires out there to be able to handle the weight/speed combination on the rear tire.

RickS

Jan 30, 2011
Speonk, NY
Simplex Servi-cycle tires are available from Coker tire. The 26 x 2.5 go right on a 26" bicycle rim. They are about $130 each, and are much heavier duty than a bike tire.

Spumoni

Sep 15, 2014
Upstate NY
Oh wow - thanks Rick! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Any reason why this wouldn't work on the Sportsman 80? Will pedaling be a nightmare with these tires?

RickS

Jan 30, 2011
Speonk, NY
Oh wow - thanks Rick! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Any reason why this wouldn't work on the Sportsman 80? Will pedaling be a nightmare with these tires?
I don't see any problem with pedaling these tires, except they are a little heavy.

Spumoni

Sep 15, 2014
Upstate NY
What kind of tubes would I use with these? Can I use the heavy duty Bontrager tubes that I got for the Hank tires? Or do I have to get a motorcycle tubes?

Thanks!

Spumoni

Sep 15, 2014
Upstate NY
I decided not to go with the Cokers - I heard they're a pain to mount on the rims without scratching them - and I question how well they will handle. But they sure do look cool.

I currently don't have the bike yet, but I have the Bontrager Hanks already on the wheels.

I just ordered a pair of Balloon 346's in black... unfortunately they're on backorder here in the US. I had to bite the bullet and get them from Germany. I'll have a full report when I get them. They look like they'll be more substantial than the Hanks.