The Chinese copy the "Fred Head"!

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
China rip off. SOB's have been on us after about week #4. Three main clowns who extract money from this industry are the worst. They all claim innocence, but they are thieves, there really other name for them, is there?

We can beat them. Encourage all forum members to buy made in USA first. Sure we all will buy from China - if there really is no other choice and I frankly despite what might be implied, I don't hate China or Chinese people. A just hate people who steal with every ounce of my being.

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan
I know this thread is older now, but I feel like I have something to add to the conversation.

I sold one of my tensioners to an ebayer called "nationwideaccessories". After shipping it out, I had a bad feeling and checked out the buyer a little more. i couldnt help but notice that the ebayer sold mostly china girl parts, and at the bottom of their ebay listings I saw the dreaded "gasbike.net" contact info.

Maybe I'm assuming too much, but I cant help but feel like they might be trying to copy the tensioner.

Just keep an eye out guys, and be sure to not spend a dime of your money with gasbike.net.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I did purchase the knock off head to check out the design, sent it to Fred to check out too. Ended up running a Fred head 6.0 on my race bike, I am happy to support Fred and all that are making an effort to keep it in the house.

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Turbo Buick: I don't think you are being paranoid. This is a very bad sign! I think those Iranians are going to send that unit to China for assessment for the machine shop to copy your design. You may have to start competing against the Chinese on the tensioner. If you market your product as an "American made" product, you will probably still get decent sales for the unit. I'm really sorry that this has happened to you. Because of the cut-throat actions of Gasbike, I purchase much less product from them than I used to. I hope that more people here do the same. Let's do our best to send a message to Gasbike. As a fellow American who is working hard to stay afloat, I hope that you can survive the problems that this may bring to you. Good luck!

usflg

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
Do you know how many times a month phone manufacturers sue each other for patent infringement? I'm not saying that copying someone else's idea is ok, but we as Americans tend to take things more personally, due to the illusion that we are somehow special or better. The Chinese want to stay competitive in a global market. They know that the mom and pops who make decent products are going to make more money than them. So they want to copy their products. This kind of thing happens a lot more than people care to know. I never would have sold the heads to gasbike in the first place. They have ripped off so many people before you. I don't really feel bad about this. I'm not trying to put you down and I'm sure that I'm going to get flamed for this. I just don't have any personal feelings when it comes to business.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Competition is a good thing.
You can pretty much guarantee the Chinese will make an inferior version.
So your relying on competitive pricing, Good Customer relations, good quality and innovation to keep sales up.
Which is a good thing.
You all use Chinese motors whether it be a HT or a Honda clone.
Honestly how many of you run a real Honda?
Shipping is what really kills small producers.
When Fred wants $50 to ship his head to OZ of cause I'm going to be looking for other alternatives.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I bet an inferior version of the Fred head is still better than a stock head. Either way, I wouldn't expect gasbike to charge any less than Fred does for shipping.

rhodeisland

Oct 30, 2012
Rhode Island
I was told from a customer of mine that is in manufacturing here in R.I. that if he farmed out some of his manufacturing to Asia and they copied the product and produced it in another company he could not sue them.
The only recourse he would have would be to sue whoever imported and or sold that copy product in the USA.
He did his home work and never farmed any work to Asia.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Shipping is what really kills small producers.
When Fred wants $50 to ship his head to OZ of cause I'm going to be looking for other alternatives.
Priority Mail International® Medium Flat Rate Box
Expected Delivery Date 6 - 10 business days to many major markets1, 2
Total
$58.65
$58.65 is what it costs to mail a maximum of 20lbs in a medium flat rate box to Australia.
Maybe there are slightly cheaper shipping methods?
Do you expect Fred to lose money shipping parts to you?

http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices...ilingDate=4/28/2014&MailingTime=8:00 AM&dv=70

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I'm just not going to pay that for shipping end of story.
The Chinese don't charge me that much.
Neither did Treatland,
Just saying the shipping is the problem,
If that's what it costs Fred to ship his head to OZ, then that's just 'Bad Luck' for Fred.

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
im in australia down in tasmania
i not mind paying the little extra for the fine work FRED doe's ,and theon i have a fred twin plug with decompression valve head for sale with very little use i could post to you i spun a top neddle in it and the rollers kind of marked the head very little i will sell for 220.00auflg

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I just sold a bike on eBay, estimates for shipping cost through eBay was calculated at $103.oo, customer is charged $121.70 at check out time ( payment collection ) I ship the bike and actual final cost is $148.37
$45.37 difference and if I had went through Bay "Print Label" I have to pay $11.00 more for that Luxury. I just took it down there to UPS facility and sucked it up, still made a profit.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
When I'm buying from an eBay seller I ask him to confirm the shipping price. It's a 100% guarantee that one of us is being shafted on the price. eBay has a new gimmick now too were when the vendor ships it, they do it through Pitney Bowes shipping division. The seller sends it to them and then they charge to send it to you and often to send it to Canada it's as much or more than what you paid for part.

If they ship through Pitney Bowes I just tell them to forget it but I check before I bid on it. I'm not paying $30 to have an $8 part shipped. U.P.S is bad enough and if I don't see where the say they ship U.P.S. or U.S.P.S. I check to see if it is Pitney Bowes shipping.

Steve.

Ronzworld

Feb 21, 2014
Regina,Saskatchewan
Hi ya'all ... Ron here from Ronzweorld Motorized Cycle up in Regina Saskatchewan,Canada .. I've been building bikes for awhile now and know 1st hand how the world of shipping is taking alot from anyone who wants anything transported ... but have you checked out the price of gas , insurance etc that the shipping companies (as well as everyone else) has too pay to move it down the road ?? We can't point at the shipping companies they do the best they can (I think)and I am sure that if Fred (and most all others that ship things) could they would only buy that 1/2 a stamp to save $$ on the cost of things for us !! The trick is too order enough ta fill the box , envelope or weight limit so that when averaged in we don't "over-kill" the individual item with the costs.
?? But then what do I know ?? I'm just sayin' ...
Ron.

** Ride with Pride **