2 motorized bicycles With GT2 Frames

GoldenMotor.com

Do you like?

• Total voters

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Hey thanks for the compliment on my build ...means a lot coming from a fellow builder !
I went for a surf through your site and was very impressed with what I saw. You have an eye for detail and an artistic ability in your work ... looks good I suspect that you will do well with your custom components and builds.
I'm pretty much into the same things up here in Canada , only thing is that our summer is just way too short ! I have to run studded tires and ride in a snow suit for about 4 1/2 months of the year ! I do it tho ... ride EVERYday of the year ... at least the distance it takes to get me to work (or to classes the last few months) Finding new people who are into, or wanting to get into , the motorized bicycle world ..... it's been really good to me to say the least ! Hopefully it will keep growing and I will be able to continue to support myself (and my on-going need to play w/my bikes) for a long time to come.
Been putting alot of thought into making a trip South for a few of the colder months of winter... I would like too haul a couple of my bikes along and maybe even do some racing ??
** ronzworldmotorizedcycle.ca **

** Ride with Pride **
That eye for detail is the called, "the curse of the machinist". LOL All you fellow machinist's out there know what I'm talking about...

I feel for you about the short riding season. I'm originally from Michigan. I spent the first 49 years of my life there. When I was a kid I used to stud my dirt bike tires and go out on the lakes and blow by the snowmobiler's. That's when snowmobiles only had a top speed of 60m to70 mph. Ha Ha... One winter I came down with something called norrelga (excuse my spelling). Basically it is caused from exposing one's mouth to frigid cold wind for extended periods of time. Every tooth in my mouth ached for about a month. After that I acquired some snowmobile clothing and a scarf to cover my mouth. Oh ya and I learned to stop smiling and close my mouth too...

Now I have the opposite problem... excessive heat. Currently it is 8:50am here in Vegas and it is already 100 degrees in the sun. From June through Sept. I do all my riding early in the morning or after dark. I am fearful that my little china girl's will die of heat exhaustion.

As fare as coming south for the winter... it's what Canadian Bald Eagles do. They nest around Lake Mead every winter and than fly back to the great white north in late spring. Prime time in S. Nevada are the months of March thru May. Daily high temps reach only into the 70's and 80's. The desert is in bloom. The wild life is highly active. and of course is rarely rains here.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Ronsworld - I haven't built a GT2 frame. I'm planning a 4 stroke on one (or would that be the GT2a?)
massdrive- I realize sloppy work will not make me look professional no mater what frame I use. I said that because I don't have the skills to build my own custom tank to fit my frame.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Ronsworld - I haven't built a GT2 frame. I'm planning a 4 stroke on one (or would that be the GT2a?)
massdrive- I realize sloppy work will not make me look professional no mater what frame I use. I said that because I don't have the skills to build my own custom tank to fit my frame.
Who says your work is sloppy?

The machinist curse is basically a form of OCD that I had to be taught. lol I sure didn't pay any attention to details in the beginning.

There is only one way to learn... dive into the deep end of the pool my friend. Or buy a tank online. I've seen some nice one's. Or find someone to make them for you.

I've been toying with the idea of expanding the fuel capacity to 1 full U.S. gal.

Truthfully my next build is going to be a rat bike or a vintage looking motorbike and I'm not going to sweat the details.

bgoodsoil

Jul 10, 2014
Washington, DC
Those builds are looking good! I want to put a 4-stroke in a GT2 frame but I can't find one of the S models. Kings has the old one for $150 shipped. If I chop off that front motor mount do you think I could get the 4-stroke mounting plate to fit in there? With the dip in the bottom tube it seems like the engine would sit lower and a lotta builds I'm seeing are having problems with the intake hitting the top.

Hope to see more pics of those 2! Thanks,
Brad

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
I have both and the "S" and the "A" frames. There is definitely more room in the "A" frame. Especially if you remove the engine mount. I have a 99cc Predator new in the box that I am itching to put into something, anything.... I've been considering building a 4 stroke GT2a. When I do it you can be sure that I will offer a complete installation kit.

bgoodsoil

Jul 10, 2014
Washington, DC
Thanks. I'll get the A-frame and see if I can make it work. I might end up trying to get some of your brackets to work on this engine plate if it turns out it won't go.

What tires are you running? I'd like to run some fat tires but I don't know how big we can go on these frames.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
My bikes have china engines this is what my Smart Clamps are designed to fit. However I can make any mounting bracket and clamps for anything. I run Maxxis Hook Worm tires, they are 2.5" wide and there is plenty of room to spare in the frame. My problem was drive and pedal chain clearance from the tire. Puting a disc brake on the fork was a challenge too. The 2.125" wide Worksman wheels and 11 gauge spokes made for zero clearance between the spokes and the fork and the brake caliper.

bgoodsoil

Jul 10, 2014
Washington, DC
2.5" is pretty wide. I'm glad to hear this frame will run something that big. I'm looking to put Schwalbe Marathon 2.4" tires on here.

I found a forum for guys that do long-distance touring on bicycles--crossing China or Africa with all their gear on-board. A lot of them use a steel bike called the Surly Troll.

I'm going to use their front fork and luggage rack and whatever brakes/wheels/tires those guys use. I want to load this bike down with baskets, gear it for a top speed of about 20, and use it for my grocery runs. I figure aping whatever those guys have found works is probably the best way to go.

Good to know about the clamps. I might end up fabbing my own engine plate and getting some clamps from you for it if the angles don't work out right on this A frame.

I appreciate you putting your builds on here. I'd have no way to build one of these if it weren't for reading threads and asking questions here. Thanks!

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Look into the surly crosscheck or long haul trucker bikes. Steel, some come with discs and they have room for an engine