Frame parts

GoldenMotor.com

JonesL

Sep 4, 2013
California
I decided I didn't have enough to do so the only logical thing to start was a board tracker project.

So far I've machined my own neck, two-to-one frame tube adapter, with two more in the works.

The small piece of scrap steel in my pick-up is my donor material. I lay out and machine a given piece out of billet then go over it with a needle scaler to stress-relieve the part. An added bonus with the needle scaler is that it puts in a texture that make the piece look more like a forging or casting

Enjoy the pictures.

Last edited:

JonesL

Sep 4, 2013
California
Thanks for the kind words.
No to CNC. After all these years I'm still 'chasing the dial' on a 9X42 Bridgeport.
I usually end up making my own gauges and pick up their surface(s) before moving into the work piece. Slow going but it gives me repeatable results. It's fairly easy to make a part. The trick is to make more than one and have them all be interchangable.

JonesL

Sep 4, 2013
California
Thanks,
I can't wait to see what I can do once I get good at this stuff.

Currently my tongue-in-cheek company is "Miracle Machine Works".
Our motto is "If it's a good part, it's a Miracle".

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
Thats one of best uses for a locomotive axle I've ever seen.
very very nice.
and I'm the the guy who swaps those out. probably not one of mine though, as I'm in vermont.
The best part is when your done you can ask people to find the part of your bike that came off a train and just grin while they scratch there head.

JonesL

Sep 4, 2013
California
Heretic,
You lift them? We go the other direction; we have a drop table.
Either way; the axles are high-grade domestic 1050 steel.
I like the way your bike plays star to the background.

The guys down at my shop have taken to calling my fake forgings 'fauxgings'.
Here's my latest piece. It turns the stock two-tube trans mount into a one-piece down tube frame. Next will be the top rear frame piece that joins the dual backbone to the seat strut/hardtail upper tubes.
Also trying my hand at electro-etching. These are front motor mounts that carry the 1920s reinforcing plate look. Surprised how easy the process is. Bucket of water w/ electrolyte added, car battery charger, work part with vinyl adhesive backed material with area to be etched cut out to act as a stencil. Best of all, no nasty chemicals to deal with. Did this in my laundry room.

Last edited:

JonesL

Sep 4, 2013
California
Still at it. I'm dry fitting frame parts together to check clearances.
If using a Sportster motor seems like overkill; just remember that I'm 6' 3" and weigh only slightly less than a Fiat.
Enjoy the pictures.