Quickie project #2- “1903 Harley”

GoldenMotor.com

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Mr. B, I was thinking of doing a 1915 Harley single tribute, but have put that on hold for a Pierce Arrow single. Anyway, in doing some Harley research, I found an add showing a new seat spring they developed that uses a coil spring in the seat down tube. I was impressed with how easy it would be to make, and I think, very efficient. Have you come across this design, and/or thought of trying it?

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I have seen that system, and on other old bikes too. But to be true to form I wouldn't put on a 1903 tribute, they really were just a basic bicycle with a motor...

I'll look forward to seeing progress on your Pierce and your Harley!

-Kirk

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Goodness, been a long time since I’ve had any progress to share!

And in fact most of this fab was done by March, but I just haven’t been able to get access to my Brother-n-laws welding gear, the long winter didn’t help...

It’s been a real source of frustration so I’ve decided to buy my own soon, probably tig as I want be able to work in aluminum too. Learning curve expected!

New fab- Just finished the filing, grinding, and sanding last night.

-Forks are finished and in primer.
-Engine plate extended (measure once, cut twice rule, uuggg)
-Fake over the top bar oil tank
-Brass fuel filler bung and “garden hose” cap
-Triangular battery box (ala a tool box)
-Various tabs, gussets, & brackets
-2 finger tips with 2nd degree burns, (ouch, this hobby is rough sometimes)

Shown here in quick mock up.

Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Also, a new vented gas cab concept-

I found one of those little hat shaped axle caps fits perfectly between the hose cap and the gasket. It already has vents built in with it’s locking taps pushed down flush. And then a hole in the cap with my tiniest bit...

Hope it works!

More soon-
(yeah right...)

-Kirk

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Kirk,
Your bike is looking mighty fine. I like that little axle cap for the brass garden hose cap. Where do you get those axle caps? I made my innards from a plastic bottle cut into a sort of flower deal with petals sticking out, which works fine, but I like yours mo betta.
SB

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Cool build for sure and excellent idea on the cap vent. I used a similar brass cap and an NPT by hose adapter fitting for the oil fill port on my 79cc Predator build. Got the idea from CCC. Simple solutions are always the best and the most reliable.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Mr. B,

You've done it again. Another wonderful, imaginative motor bike build. As for the quickie project I know a couple of fellas who could sit around the cooler and compare just how long it takes to complete a quickie build.

By the look of those digits I would say you had the lesson that I am constantly relearning. If you just welded it, don't touch it because there is a very good chance that it is extremely hot.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Totally awesome. It realy amazes me what the things you come up with,just used some of the axel nuts on a cart never thought about a vent.a

Good thing the burns heal or I wouldn't have any fingers left. Seems like every time one does some work one gets in a hurry and zap another burn,it's eather that or a chunk out with a grinder.

Loving this more and more..........Curt .........another lean-to coming

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Yep- Ran a little bead, paused for a minute, long enough to take the gloves off and then while repositioning the bike I foolishly caught it as it slipped a little on the bench...

As big as a frame is I managed to stick my fingers into the tiny hot spot, Ha!

Not as quickie as I first imagined, that’s for sure!

-Kirk

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Man I have read this through 4 or5 times AWESOME! Back yard engineering,reminds me of my neighbor on his hot rods.

You mentioned a #2 belt would that be the same as the wider 5/8" belt, B belt?.......Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I figured that a C might even be better but take a extra 10 hp just to turn it. And wow didn't know they made them bigger.
Someone on the forum has used a superteen belt also with good luck.........Curt

Redbat

Mar 27, 2013
Texas
Just a newbie question. Is that a Harbor Freight motor you have mounted? Any oiling issues with it rotated so far forward? Looks so much better rotated like you did.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Welcome to the Forum!

At first I would never imagined these engines would work well upright myself. And yet for a few years now folks have been doing it and sharing their results here. Some with thousands of miles logged already.

Originally it was a much discussed topic, but after much experimenting by brave pioneering forum members it’s generally a accepted practice now.

If it’s something you might consider yourself, read through some older posts (especially in the 4 stroke section) or search specific questions and you’ll find numerous tips & ideas about mounting, building custom manifolds, recommend oil fill amounts, etc...

This place is a great resource!

-Kirk