the 109.00 kit from ebay.

GoldenMotor.com

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I gave BGF a try for my last kit,, I'm not too happy with it,,they used 6mm for the head bolts,,thats not a problem cause it don't leak and they stay tight,,but the motor has pre ignition noise after it gets hot,,tried to mess with gap a little but it still does it,,also tried doubling up head gaskets,,thinking maybe timing or something,,the bike runs ok just loses a little power when it pings.The BGF kit did include a sprocket puller tool,chrome plated sprocket,better 4 bolt tensioner,and nicer handle grips than the other two,,but to me a good running motor is the most important!!!

Needless to say i will not be buying another motor from BGF,,had great luck with luckyearlybird and ming though...will try rose next.

Tom

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
I've also had good lucky with my china dolls from Luckyearlybird. I have three extras right now but I can't mount them because both of my LEB other motors are still running strong! One has over 1200 miles so far.

I do a few basic things to them beforehand, such as:
fabricate better intake and exhaust gaskets with (Mr. Gasket 77),
swap out the acorn nuts for standard nuts,
insert an o-ring into the carb to get a more air-tight seal at the connection point, replace the u-bolt front mount with the SBP "universal mount",
add a higher quality ignition wire, boot, and plug
re-wind magneto coil (just kidding about that one).

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I've been here before, Sounding like I'm defending Rick at BGF. There's no way to defend his parts, They are CHEAP, and ya get what ya pay for. BUT, I've never had a problem getting him to make it right. He has even gone so far as to just GIVE me a replacement part.
I think, A LOT of times, some people just don't know how to say PLEASE and THANK YOU. I see it on this forum all the time, NO respect. So I can only imagine how some people might try to deal with a vender. Rick is obviously asian, and asian's are all about RESPECT. If you start your request with telling him his crap is CRAP, You will never buy from him again and you want his crap replaced (or your money back,) NOW NOW NOW, Then it might take a while for him to even get back to you. I've bought around 50 engines from Rick. Some problems arise once in a while. I very politely ask Rick what HE wants to do about it. This gives him the respect of running HIS company HIS way. He ALWAYS gets back to me quickly with a solution. And like I said, Sometimes he just sends me a new part, FREE.
The old adage still holds true. You can catch more flies with honey than with vineger. And this is true for ANY vender. So next time try a little honey, Throw in a PLEASE and a THANK YOU with your next complaint. I think you'll find you get a better response.
And OH YEAH, I just installed this $103 engine on a customer bike, No problems so far. It was selling for $95 + tax at the time. (last month.)
fatdaddy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18108179894...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648#ht_3220wt_912

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Other than the plug, every picture of a grubee that I have seen have the transfer port bulges stop abruptly part way down the bottom cylinder neck, whereas the non grubee engines the transfer ports run all the way down the neck to the crank case.
Therefore I do believe this is not an old grubby.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Ya its the same engine there ALL the same.
Chinese 2-strokes for motorized bicycles are all the same basic design but they are not all made the same way with the same metal mix, casts, or in the same factory.

The simple fact is ANY 2-stroke kit you buy in the US that DOESN'T say Grubee Skyhawk on it was made years ago and has been sitting on-shore in the US for at least 3 years.

The ONLY Chinese 2-stroke motor kits in this class allowed in since 2010 are Skyhawks, period, and the JiangYan YuanDong gas engine factory makes them and improves their kits every year it seems.

All those pre-2010 kits still have the NT carb and 1/2 gallon tank, that's how I spot them, and that 415 chain and sprockets, urrgghh, that is miserable stuff to work with and complete overkill for an motorized bicycle.
The stock 410 is usually fine but if it's a performance build I'll throw some HD Z chain on it.

I have been building motorized bicycles for a living for 3 years now and built 70 some odd 2-strokers and all I have ever used is SKyhawks because I simply don't have time to waste a day going through the motor, heck my last 2 motor kits were made just 7 months ago.

I pop the head to rotate it forward and check the cylinder and torque it right back on at 20# and install the motor and simply don't have any problems.

$149 DELIVERED and they have a 2.5L 2/3 gallon gas tank and just the bigger gas tank is worth the extra ~$25 more than the 1/2 gallon junk all other kits have but there is so many other reasons like 410 chain and sprockets and better tensioner.

I am different than most of you here as I simply don't build and keep a bike as a hobby to play with all the time forever, I build myself something new and fun to ride for awhile and let it go to try something else.

Most of my time is building bikes for customers and with paid help they need to go together right and run right off the bat, I get that with my building techniques and Skyhawk kits.

Just my first hand experience guys, take it or leave it for what kit you buy because unlike the post quote these kits for sale in the US are not ALL the same, there is one that isn't and that includes DAX, he starts with a Skyhawk base.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I think, A LOT of times, some people just don't know how to say PLEASE and THANK YOU. I see it on this forum all the time, NO respect. So I can only imagine how some people might try to deal with a vendor.
This was one of the most important lessons we all learned as children. Many of us have forgotten that it also carries over into adulthood. fatdaddy gets a gold star.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've been here before, Sounding like I'm defending Rick at BGF. There's no way to defend his parts, They are CHEAP, and ya get what ya pay for. BUT, I've never had a problem getting him to make it right. He has even gone so far as to just GIVE me a replacement part.
I think, A LOT of times, some people just don't know how to say PLEASE and THANK YOU. I see it on this forum all the time, NO respect. So I can only imagine how some people might try to deal with a vender. Rick is obviously asian, and asian's are all about RESPECT. If you start your request with telling him his crap is CRAP, You will never buy from him again and you want his crap replaced (or your money back,) NOW NOW NOW, Then it might take a while for him to even get back to you. I've bought around 50 engines from Rick. Some problems arise once in a while. I very politely ask Rick what HE wants to do about it. This gives him the respect of running HIS company HIS way. He ALWAYS gets back to me quickly with a solution. And like I said, Sometimes he just sends me a new part, FREE.
The old adage still holds true. You can catch more flies with honey than with vineger. And this is true for ANY vender. So next time try a little honey, Throw in a PLEASE and a THANK YOU with your next complaint. I think you'll find you get a better response.
And OH YEAH, I just installed this $103 engine on a customer bike, No problems so far. It was selling for $95 + tax at the time. (last month.)
fatdaddy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18108179894...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648#ht_3220wt_912
Manners is why I get such good service as well (I assume). I ALWAYS state my issue politely and see what the vendor says. That being said, I have heard too many horror stories to be willing to test BGF myself. I got lucky with my first kit purchase and have stuck with ming and rose ever since. I learn a lot in here and I ALWAYS take complaints about a certain vendor with a grain of salt. Everyone is different and has different results. I would have bought from Rick were it not for the complaints I saw about him in here. I may buy from him in the future if I see a good price on something I want just to see for myself. Lets be real here guys (and girls) EVERY china motor is a cr*pshoot, but we can load the dice with informed buying.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Yup,,the best running motor I found is from luckyearlybird but they all have weak clutch springs,,the ones i got from other vendors ming and BGF have good stiff clutch spring but lacked power and have pinging issues,,so Id rather go with the luckyearlybird motor and just adjust and upgrade the clutch.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
bought THIS ONE

Starting to wonder now, has the same screws and I was looking at blurry pictures.
If it is an old grubee, just how under powered is it, and why is it under powered?
Not sure,,
The 67cc grubee I had ran like a 49cc,,maybe it was marked wrong,,it ran ok but not as strong as my luckyearlybird motors,,them things are wicked after a tuning.Like I said,,the clutches are all weak so far,,but if you upgrade to the red pads and do what Norm said in his thread about adjusting the big spring,,they are great!

Maybe air leaks somewhere,,I tried everything and could not get much power from my grubee,,also bought one from ming that was weak,,but the BGF one was the worst out of all of them,hopefully I can get it running good enough to sell.

Tom

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
I haven't found a lot of stuff on weak grubbies, but some stuff I may have heard rumours of it, engine gossip ya know, maybe it was just a bum motor or it had rings that did not seat properly?
However, when I get it I will try to extract as much grunt out of it as I can get within reason.
Port matching, smooth exhaust port, piston skirt notch, teflon needle bearing spacers, trim transfer port gaskets, blah, blah, blah, all that stuff. and whatever else I can do.
And in the meantime while I am unsatisfied with this motor, I will re-furbish my old one.
YEAH, that's it!

Who here can comment on the performance of their cheap cheesy sticker motor?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/380401296450?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

Last edited:

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I haven't found a lot of stuff on weak grubbies, but some stuff I may have heard rumours of it, engine gossip ya know, maybe it was just a bum motor or it had rings that did not seat properly?
However, when I get it I will try to extract as much grunt out of it as I can get within reason.
Port matching, smooth exhaust port, piston skirt notch, teflon needle bearing spacers, trim transfer port gaskets, blah, blah, blah, all that stuff. and whatever else I can do.
And in the meantime while I am unsatisfied with this motor, I will re-furbish my old one.
YEAH, that's it!

Who here can comment on the performance of their cheap cheesy sticker motor?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/380401296450?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648
You should be fine,,
The motor was never broken in so you know how that goes,,they always get better with time...just not too much time...lol..well off to advance to get some RTV sealant,,working on my GY6 150cc scoot today,,now that excites me!!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
bought THIS ONE
If it is an old grubee, just how under powered is it, and why is it under powered?
It's not a Grubee Skyhawk, they all have metal ID plates riveted to the cover over the drive sprocket.
You do know that is just the motor and not a complete motor kit right?
No CDI, carb, sprocket, throttle, gas tank, etc. etc.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
$149 DELIVERED and they have a 2.5L 2/3 gallon gas tank and just the bigger gas tank is worth the extra ~$25 more than the 1/2 gallon junk all other kits have but there is so many other reasons like 410 chain and sprockets and better tensioner.

Most of my time is building bikes for customers and with paid help they need to go together right and run right off the bat, I get that with my building techniques and Skyhawk kits.

Just my first hand experience guys, take it or leave it for what kit you buy because unlike the post quote these kits for sale in the US are not ALL the same, there is one that isn't and that includes DAX, he starts with a Skyhawk base.
...do you have a link for your preferred vendor for the kits you use?

peace, bozo

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
You do know that is just the motor and not a complete motor kit right?
No CDI, carb, sprocket, throttle, gas tank, etc. etc.
Yes, it's a replacement for my crankpin bearing failure destroyed motor.
It's not a Grubee Skyhawk, they all have metal ID plates riveted to the cover over the drive sprocket.
The question is, is it Kraft Dinner in a No Name box?

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
From the ebay, the engine I bought.
This motor is a new generation of 2 cycle engine with many improvements and enhancements which make it stronger, more powerful and more durable.
Is this just a bunch of sales crap, or is this engine really an improvement?
And what is improved?
Should be obvious because the improvements and advancements are many, apparently.

Looks the same from the outside, but of course it's what is inside that matters (that's what years of childrens programming taught me anyway)

Still haven't heard much input from those who bought this motor other than one persons claim that it stills runs and loves you long time.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
@Toad - I have that exact engine but haven't mounted it yet. When you get it mounted please give a review because I'd like to hear it from a reputable source.

They gave me the same line: "this china engine love you long time, other type will crap out so sorry no refund"