starting a board tracker/vintage inspired bike build

GoldenMotor.com

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
I'll probably cut some louvers in it, But really, without the plastic cover and tins, the fan won't do any substantial cooling. You'd have to direct the air to the cooling fins on the cylinder somehow. Having it sealed up won't make the engine run any hotter either. The heat on these motors builds up around the cylinder and especially the exhaust port. My thinking is that i'll be moving most of the time on this bike, and when stopped, it will be at idle. These little 49cc HS motors actually have some serious cooling fins on the cylinder and head so it should be fine. My other bike is a cb750 which is 100% air cooled, no cooling fans or shrouds whatsoever and never had a problem with it lol.

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ

I've been out of town for a week, so i finally got a day to work on my bike. Here's the motor mounts I made out of angle iron, just clamped to the frame for mock up. The angle iron rests right on top of the bottom bracket so its a very sturdy way to mount the motor on my frame.
All this should be welded up by tonight. Also, welding in the filler and petcock bung on the tank tonight.

Here's the motor setting on the mocked up mounts to get an idea of how its going to sit in there. Im going to make a filler plate/faux crankcase to fill in the drop loop section.

Here's another angle. You also get an idea of what fork i decided to run for now. Its a vintage monark fork i got for cheap. I had to cut an extra inch of threads in the steer tube to make it work, but it looks great I think.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I like those forks and I believe they are the best looking for the style of your buld,
Keep em! they'd look even cooler if you could afford to get them chromed or powdered coated chrome but they look good on yer bike.
Can we get a full blown side pic?
Is that an old Econoline in the back ground?

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
I'll put some side pics up when its all reassembled. The motor mounts and jackshaft mounts are all welded up, as are the tank bungs. Now I need to decide on what kind of finish I want while its still all apart. Im leaning towards patina'd black with copper tank and jackshaft, brown leather seat and cream tires. Kind of 'standard' i guess, but i want it to look old. Truck'd, that's my 62 econoline panel van. Its an old project that is still almost done lol.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I had a "64" Eco Superliner, bought it from U-Haul for $150.00 like new 10,000 miles LOVED IT!! always thought one would look cool with 20" wheels dropped to the ground and a front to back moon roof with suicide front doors and lift front winshield.

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ

Heres a picture of the finish i decided to go with on the gas tank, and also the tank mounts that i fabbed up. it's hammered bronze spray paint. Probably not everyone's taste, but i love the look and it matches my motor.

Here's a sneak peak of the bike going back together. I still haven't decided what to do with the forks as far as finish, so i left the 50's patina'd paint for now. this is also a rough mock up of how im mounting the seat. I'll weld tabs on the seat stays to brace the seat right above the tire, and I'll weld a nut to the seat tube and bolt the front of the seat right to it. I have a thick piece of tanned leather that i'll trim to the shape of this pan and screw it on with brass hardware.

I also realized that i can't run the stock exhaust for this motor with how far forward i have it mounted. My brother gave me an NOS whizzer muffler pipe though and that fit great and looks good too. I'll put up pics of that later.

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ

Here's another angle after i got the jackshaft reinstalled. Everything lines up great with that. I decided to keep the original lime green paint on the forks, and im going to incorporate the green into the tank logo/pinstriping to tie it all together. I was going to paint them, but he color is just too cool and i love the original patina.
Also, before anyone blasts me for the upside down cruiser bars, Those are just temporary to figure out the seat position to make this bike relatively comfortable. The seat will be low enough that BTR drop bars will actually be rideable. Im probably going to fab my own clamps to make a set of 3 piece bars.

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
Thanks silverbear! I put a thread in the 4stroke section, but im having an issue with the drive sprocket on my HS. It just doesn't seem to want to mesh with the chain, no matter how i have it lined up. Has anyone on here had this issue before? Its almost like i need to file down the teeth or something. The chain just doesn't want to grab the teeth, or if it does, it gets stuck on the teeth, like they are too deep or steep or something.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Boy, I don't know. I guess first I'd make sure the sprockets are in line with each other. Is it the drive sprocket that seems to stick, or the driven sprocket on the wheel? You might try running the chain with it engaged to just one of the sprockets ( no alignment to worry about. Does it get stuck on the teeth or run smoothly without sticking? If the problem is the teeth it would bind even if the chain was only running on one sprocket. Another thing to consider is that sometimes the chain itself is screwed up. It could be bent so that if you laid on on its side on a flat surface it would not lay flat. Give it a good stare in trying to figure out if one of the sprockets is at fault, the chain is no good or the alignment is still off. Good luck!
SB

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
Im not sure what size it is. Its the one that came in the Bikeberry 4 stroke engine kit. That's the main reason im baffled...I'll call them tomorrow and see if they've had any issues with the chains in their kits being too narrow. Is there an easy way to tell the width of the chain? maybe just measure it?

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
I pulled the key out of the jackshaft so that both sprockets on that side will just 'freewheel', to eliminate all the other stuff from the equation. It looks like the sprocket from Sick Bike parts (the jackshaft sprocket) works great, no binding. Its JUST the drive sprocket on the transmission that came on the motor that is binding. The chain seems to work smoothly on the other sprocket though. It looks like there is a small amount of 'wiggle room' between the inner edges of the chain and the SBP sprocket, but the drive sprocket is very very tight. Im starting to lean toward the 'need a wider chain' idea! Thanks for the help guys! So where would one get a wider chain? gokart store? small engine repair place?

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
When I purchased my Sportsman Flyer from pat he sent a #41 chain with the bike and thats all I've been using since on all my bikes, they are a little wider and way better quality they don't mess with close casing on the Chinee engines,You can get them from Pats site,Grainger or desired length at a motorcycle/Moped shop
But check Pats site out first he may? offer them at lower price but don't quote me when you inquire, Fifty bucks for 10'
$45.95 + $ 4.95 to ship, Pats site is on the left side or right side of the thread in advertizements

Last edited:

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Try a hardware store, I remember someone saying he got a 10' chain for like $11 or something

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
So the chain I have on there is a 415 size...it seems like the thing that is getting stuck is the round part of the chain (don't know what its called, maybe 'rollers'?), is getting stuck in between the sprocket teeth, almost like they are too large to roll properly around the teeth. Im not sure its a width thing yet, especially if im already running a 415 chain.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
They are called Chase Roller's at least they were 100 yrs ago,the sides are called links and insides are called pins, the master link has a locking clip and the whole unit is usually refered to as a link, but if a 415 has chase rollers that are to big then a 410 would probably work, if you can go to a moped shop/motorcycle or lawn mower shop and ask some questions,other than gas the advice is free.

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
I could be wrong (occurs all to often), but it almost seems as if they sent the wrong primary drive sproket??? Is it stamped with any markings? Just a thought.