New Caviness Motorbike Build

GoldenMotor.com

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Got the new Brooks in and mounted. The feel of the bike is excellent now. If only I had time to ride it now :)

Hopefully I'll get some more time this week to take it out. The only thing I need to check is the carb. It's wanting to bog a bit so I think I need to adjust the c-clip since the new intake filter addition.

Few things I might change in the future would be leaf spring forks and a shorty fender in the back.

Attachments

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Received my Jaguar CDI yesterday and some Worksman #4915B Chain Tensioners for the rear which should help with chain adjustment. It will be interesting to see how the CDI works. I'll update with results once I get it installed and tested.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Ok to update on the Jaguar CDI, I didn't notice any difference. I tried the bike before the CDI and just after and no difference. I tried the various jumpers and only noticed a slight difference, not worth $80 though. I took it off and put the stock CDI back on and then flushed my muffler with non-mixed gas to clean it out and cleaned my intake filter. Rode the bike again and it's a screamer. Air flow is crucial to these guys. Some recent pics. I'm thinking of making a wooden display stand to put the bike on in my garage, maybe make it out of some cedar planks and stain it then put some lighting on it to shine down on the bike. Just a thought.

Attachments

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Ok so the bike has been running great. I get to ride it about once or twice a week for 20-40 minutes at a time. Usually ride it about 10-15 miles total each time. It's got some 4-stroking at WOT but I'm going to move the clip up one and maybe get a set of jewelers bits to try my hand at jetting. In the mean-time I built a stand in my garage for the bike. The lights I used are those Edison style bulbs but it's hard to get an accurate picture of them. They look really cool in person. With all the lights off in the garage and just those on it gives the bike a really distinct look.

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I love the display you built. (^)
It reminds me of my very first motorized bicycle... (I kept it in our dining room for the first few months on the nice hardwood floor)! :rolleyes: :D

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Just a quick update, have been posting mostly on FaceBook so not on the forums as much.

Changed out the Jet to a 66 and no current issues at WOT. Only some 4-stroking on start-up and after warm up it's very minimal so I'd say a success. Would like to have one of those balanced engines from Dax though, seems they are getting good reviews!

Should be changing out to some truss forks in the near future so we'll see how that goes.

Attachments

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Found a set of 1930's Schwinn forks to put on the bike (see photo). I'm gonna go for the early Indian look and maybe put my cream tires on finally. So far I've refurbished the forks by removing paint, sanding smooth, then using steel wool, priming and 3 coats of paint. The pic of the forks is pre-refinishing. Oh also, had to widen the forks a bit to fit my Worksman drum wheel. Forks are mounted but I encountered a problem. It seems there is something down inside the headtube of the forks. Looks like a plate with a threaded hole and a wedge shape made onto the inside of the tube. I believe the forks are from a Schwinn Autocycle and it looks like there may have been a special stem that threaded directly into the head and locked in place. As a temporary solution I just shortened and notched my old stem (see photo).

Attachments

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Seems to me the Schwinn steer tube is 1/8" or so shorter than a Worksman. You may want to install the fork before you put to much work into them. It would be a bummer if you didn't have enough threads to install the top nut. Also, the crown races are different.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Thanks Pat, yes there were some issues that came up when mounting the forks. The diameter of the schwinn is smaller and the height was a bit taller but I was able to get around that when I put in some adapters. These made the height a bit taller which actually worked out great. Once I installed the top piece from the truss forks the truss rods fit right up perfectly. I'll post some pics soon.

P.S. Pat did you see my note on the replacement wheel?