chain alignment issues

GoldenMotor.com

lxtreeml

Aug 26, 2012
NY
I have the entire 80cc kit installed on a roadmaster "elevation" 26" bike and I'm trying to work out some bugs I have ran into. I can post pics if need be but I figured I would try to explain my issue. The chain I have is walking sideways enough on the bottom of the rear sprocket to then click back on and almost come off the sprocket. It seems like the rear sprocket may be mis aligned or the tensioner is having issues guiding the chain on but is there any guides for getting your chain lined up properly or methods for making sure everything is where it needs to be?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try laying a straight edge aginst your drive and driven sprockets. It must touch across the face of each. If it doesn't you'll need to adjust whever you can do to get it to.

Almost without exception the chain tensioner brackets supplied with the kits will need to be bent, twisted, to get the tensioner wheel to align with the chain path. Proper alignment and chain tension are the two most critical elements of a successful build.

Good luck.

Tom