Losing Top End RPMS

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeman

Apr 26, 2011
MS Gulf Coast
Well things have gone good for almost 40 hours runtime on my 80CC bke motor. I have an onboard tach and it used to turn 6100 RPM's if I wound it out. But I usually only ran it at 5000 for any length of time.
Now it starts up and runs good and strong. Still pulls good on hills and all the way to 5000, but now it wont turn any faster. Just goes flat and almost feels like its starving for fuel a little. There are no bubbles in the fuel line or filter.
What could be wrong? Could the motor just be wearing out?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
My engine did the same thing after about 400 miles, I pulled the head to check for problems but found none. Turned out that I needed to open up my main jet, my carb is a cns2 which had a main jet at a #70 drill bit size. I started drilling it out one size at a time and doing plug checks everytime till I got to where it ran like I wanted and the plug was a nice brown color. I ended up at a # 64 drill on mine.

Bikeman

Apr 26, 2011
MS Gulf Coast
Yeah, I got the old style simple slide carb on mine. Some say that the filter could be shaking and aerating the fuel. I didn't get a good look at the line from the filter to the carb to see if it there were air bubbles. That's how its running though, like it aint getting enough fuel past 5000 RPMs anymore. Maybe it's time for a filter. Which way does the black washer inside the filter supposed to be facing? Right now it is facing up

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Usually when an engine falls flat at high RPM's it is a sign that the air/ fuel ratio is too rich (too much fuel to air). Do a plug chop and check the color of the spark plug. If it is black then it is in fact too rich. You need to reduce the size of the main fuel jet.

Edit: Black filter washer? What kind of filter are you running?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The way I like to install a fuel filter is to have the fuel going to the out side of the element first then through the element. that way you can see any dirt or debris that may have been in the fuel. I know that some filters look odd installed that way but it will help protect against a cloged filter.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
If you are still using the stock exhaust pipe chances are that it has now clogged the palladium catalytic converter inside with oil.

Take off the pipe and do a liberal spraying and internal soaking with carb cleaner and let the thing drain out. The exhaust is fairly restrictive to start with but gets worse over time.

TiM

Bikeman

Apr 26, 2011
MS Gulf Coast
Ok I checked a bunch of things. The filter doesn't appear to be running out of fuel at high RPM's. I also pulled the carb drain screw and let it drain, then opened the shutoff and checked that it flowed real good. Then pulled the plug and found it black but not dripping or wet at all. Pulled the exhaust and checked that it flows really well with some compressed air. Not hardly any of a restriction at all. I already leaned the needle out one notch from factory setting. I really need to get a speed sprocket for this thing and quit running it wide open. I guess I need to lean it one more. But what is funny is that the thing was running before at 6000 either way. It has always ran a little rich at idle and up to mid throttle but then cleans out and runs good. It runs great between 3500 and 5000. Over 5000, you can barely feel it bucking a little then just wont go no faster. Maybe its ignition related?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It could be ignition related, but I doubt that that is your situation.
Be very careful messing with the needle clip position to adjust the fuel mixture at high RPM's.
The needle affects the mixture from just off idle to 3/4 throttle.
The fuel jet controls the mixture from 3/4 throttle to full throttle.
You don't want to be tuning up a mixture problem for one RPM range by adjusting a part that affects a different RPM range than the one you are trying to tune up. (I hope that makes sense).

Hot Wheels

Jul 7, 2009
chicago
I've had the same problem it ran great for about 50miles then suddenly I had no top end it felt like the motor had a rev limiter , I tried four new carbs,cdi spark plug,and muffler, it started to get slower. I think something is wrong with the motor. So I changed the motor went back to the first carb and cdi and muffler now it's faster than ever. Next I will pull the motor apart to see if there is something obvious that is making it run so bad.