hi, im new to everything

GoldenMotor.com

jvdunker12

Feb 16, 2010
Huntington Beach, Ca
So like my title implies, i am new to this forum, new to mechanics, new to engines, but i am used to bikes.
First off i am only 17, with a limeted knowledge of motors, and motorbikes.
I honestly would rather rebuild a car , but don't have enough money, which is why i am choosing to build a bike.

I am from california, so i can't legally drive a gas powered bike with out a motorcycle license, so i am leaning towards an electric bike. I have learned from the short time being on this site that there is a friction drive bike, can someone please explain how this works? Obviously it used friction from the motor to propel the bike.

Other Questions:
Can i use my cruiser, it is a three speed?
What kind of an Electric motor?
How do You Mount a motor?
What is the cost?
Where can i buy one?
Do you charge an electric motor through an outlet, are the motors DC or AC?

Can a knoweledgable membrer, help guide me? I might have broken rules by asking all of these questions. So can you tell me also how this forum works, and where to find answers to my questions

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Easy there killa', your fine here, no rules broken.

Now, there is one forum here called the DIY forum that will answer all your questions and more....it's really pretty simple to build one, and you have come to the right place for help.

It's good that you are choosing a bike over a car if you have limited knowledge....walk be fore running and all that.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. I lived in Tustin in the late 80s.
These machines are far easier to tinker with than a computer controlled car.
E-bikes have a good range if you are willing to pedal a bit.
I would build on a light mountain bike with street tires.
Hub motors are usually the easiest to install.
Friction drive can cause rapid tire wear, but Deacon has found some ways around that. He lurks in the electric forum on this site.
You will probably want at least 36v/500 watts to help you up the hills.
Good luck.

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Welcome to the forum!

I don't know anything about electric motors, but a little about the engines.
Engines are faster and better range than motors, but you have to buy gas + oil.
A 3-speed hub cruiser-style should work- if you're getting an engine w/ sprocket, make sure the wheel has 36 spokes to bolt the sprocket on.

There are 3 motor mounts- inside the bike frame(most popular), above the back wheel(usually friction drive with a roller on the back tire), and a push cart- the engine is on the cart with a wheel and pushes the bike- usually bigger, faster engines.

You can buy an engine/motor just by clicking on the ads on the side- try bikeberry. There are 4-stroke engines($200-$600) and two-stroke engines ($109-$230). Also, if you get a 2-stroke, you can get many performance parts like a shift kit which will work with your 3-speed hub(sickbikeparts), an expansion exhaust pipe, which adds a lot of power(sickbikeparts) and filters and stuff.
I got a 2-stroke from biketomopedkit, it works great, a bit on the basic side, $230(I coulda got a better bargain).
There are probably answers to all your questions on this forum!

-Stevo