It is what it is

GoldenMotor.com

forrestsmith

May 29, 2012
Cincinnati
I am always looking at the forum but really don't have much to say and the very knowledgeable members are way better at answering questions then I would be. But I finally have my bike looking decent and about 90% of the way I would like it finished so I thought I would post some pictures , I know we all like pictures! Started with a 90's mountain bike and ending up looking like this, so it not's vintage but I have tried to give it a vintage look. Some ideas I got from the forum was the gas tank, its made from PVC pipe and end caps. Another Ideal I got from the forum was the modified chain tensioner, and clutch cable roller. As you guys know there is really a ton of work put into making one of these right so I wont bore you with all the details. Future plans are to make a head badge and maybe a sprocket adapter and slightly smaller sprocket. I bought a whole kit for my first build just so I could see how it all went together, but after just using the engine and sprocket from the kit, my next build I will just buy a engine!

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Very nice! Great vintage vibe with very little actual change to the functional bike.
Looks old! (in a good way)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ditto: You captured the vintage flavor. Nice work and thanks for sharing it with us.
Very unique and innovative motorized bike build.

Tom

forrestsmith

May 29, 2012
Cincinnati
Thanks for all the compliments! its nice when people notice your hard work and time. I will try to keep you updated on any changes and be a little more active.

Forrest

forrestsmith

May 29, 2012
Cincinnati
Dan

I think it rides pretty nice, stops good. I have only ridden some mopeds and scooters before so I can not compare it to another motorized bike. I read a lot about vibrations, mine does not seem to be that bad. There is definitely a spot in the upper RPMs were it does seem to be worse but I don’t plan on running it at WOT much. At some point I would like to find a different front fork, something older looking that I can still mount my brakes on, I may have to modify something.

forrestsmith

May 29, 2012
Cincinnati
Anota

Its been I while since I painted it but I think I remember. I first sprayed on a coat of black, then in some areas I sprayed green to look like aged copper or brass. I then painted the whole thing with brass or bronze spray paint. While it was still wet I smeared the paint with a balled up plastic shopping bag and a wire brush. I just used some stencil I had to paint the numbers on the tank. I then coated the whole thing with clear polyurethane to help keep it fuel resistant.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
I'm Liking this soooo very much. Your exhaust and PVC gas tank look like old brass, nice job. The white tires tie it all together. Simple aliquant classy...

forrestsmith

May 29, 2012
Cincinnati
The filler is a brass piece used for joining garden hose together with a brass cap. The fuel shut off is for a lawn mower or garden tractor. I drilled the holes slightly smaller then needed, and being PVC plastic I cheated and let the parts thread them selves in. The tank has been holding gas for over a year with no leaks. I will try to find the original thread that I got the ideal from.

Forrest

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
My first build I used most of the 2 stroke kit parts. The second build I used only the engine and the CDI, and either purchased new components or made new ones.
For the third build I'm starting with a 79cc predator... that's it, and I'm going to scrounge for the rest of the parts. I hadn't considered a mountain bike frame until now... thanks.

forrestsmith

May 29, 2012
Cincinnati
Thanks for the complements. I cant say Mountain bikes are my favorite, but you can still find a ton of them used for a reasonable price or even free! Any vintage bike around here the people think they have an all original Schwinn Black Phantom:-|| then the tell you how much they sell for on EBAY, like EBAY is something new! This is the thread I found about the PVC gas tank.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=21154

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Thanks for the complements. I cant say Mountain bikes are my favorite, but you can still find a ton of them used for a reasonable price or even free! Any vintage bike around here the people think they have an all original Schwinn Black Phantom:-|| then the tell you how much they sell for on EBAY, like EBAY is something new! This is the thread I found about the PVC gas tank.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=21154
Got that right!
People here have completely lost their friggin' minds on ANYTHING with a Schwinn headbadge and it has ruined the used market for the lowbuck guys like me.
I spend several hours a week horse laughing idiots trying to sell a 12'' Schwinn Pixie for $350. (Actual real ad)