clutch chatter on 212predator

GoldenMotor.com

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I built a 212 on a mountain bike. Used the (china) torque converter. Worked perfect until the belt glazed then chatters on take off Bad. couldn't find a better belt or even the correct width and length. Changed to a (china ) clutch (all chain drive) and it chatters worse. Would a Comet clutch work smoother. It's rated for 8 h.p.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Ive never seen a tav chatter really, but ive only seen a few. That your bike still chattered after you switched clutches kinda points to something else causing it.
The belts for your tav can be had from BMI or found on ebay.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Thanks for the feedback racie35. My original belt started to unravel some threads then one section wore thinner which gave the engagement a learching as the thinner spot passed the engage pulley. Plus the chattering. I looked on e bay and could not find any numbers that matched or any way to match numbers and size. I googled it and only was more confused. Finally ordered one from e bay and it didn't fit. I found it a hopeless case.
I had gotten a clutch previously so I hooked that to a new chain to my jackshaft.
After resprocketing it for a ratio change, The clutch chatters worse but no learching.
After a few runs on it I noticed the clutch bell was very loose where it's connected to the sprocket and out of round. This can't help the chatter.
I want to ratio it fairly high to keep up with traffic. I'm sure this aggravates the chatter as well.
I ordered and received the comet clutch today so I'll find out this weekend.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
The Comet clutch runs smooth. With a 6.2:1 ratio, I need to GPS it to see how fast it is.?
Still have the gov. hooked up.