Brakes on a springer OR why don't they make the forks this way?

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Did a little more work on the Cranbrook tonight. I decided since I had rear cantilever brakes now why not have them up front too. Chopped the pivots off of a scrap MTB and welded them to the springer fork. They work awesome! Now if my double pull handle would come in I could test out using both the front and back brakes. Would have put the front fender on but the paint wasn't dry yet. In the last couple of pics you can see what my new frame color is going to be. :D

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hey Kevlarr, That looks great, I want to put a springer on my Huffy build down the road and when I do I had planned on putting brakes on the front also, I did not think to do it like you did but that looks way better than what I was thinking would have so now I know how I will do it, that s a great color as well, my favorite color is RED RED and more RED...!

ElMicNip

Sep 5, 2010
Vantucky
Good job on the weld. I don't weld and I wish I had the motivation to learn, but I have enough on my plate. I had to purchase my springer forks with the brake bosses attached. They were once available at Spooky Tooth and they cost me around $70, kinda expensive I know. I don't know of anywhere else to get one. The stem was 6.5" and I did not want to trim because for some reason it looked as if it wouldn't fit right. I know it probably would, but I got a couple of aluminum spacers to fix the problem and I actually like headset up higher. It allows me to keep the handlebars pushed down so the skinny little neck is no there. With the spacers it looks a little beefier.

Attachments

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I figured out a round about way to get a springer with the brake bosses already attached as to not mess up the chrome.

A few places sell a 1 1/8" threadless springer fork with brake bosses, just buy that and swap out the threadless steer tube with a 1" threaded steer tube.

+

= :D

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I figured out a round about way to get a springer with the brake bosses already attached as to not mess up the chrome.

A few places sell a 1 1/8" threadless springer fork with brake bosses, just buy that and swap out the threadless steer tube with a 1" threaded steer tube.

+

= :D

Where did You find the springer forks with the bosses ??

Cheers

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That's pretty cool, Kev. I just retired my oldest bike that I had installed a springer on and I don't want to use the fork on one of the Jags but...Your ideas might be the way to go because I haven't been able to find a reasonably priced suspension fork that will fit the Jaguar which has cantilever brakes. I might have to explore this to help soften the ride. Either that or run with under-inflated tires :)
Thanks for sharing.
Tom