The Real Deal on California Law.

GoldenMotor.com

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
i'm sick of arguing about what we need and what we don't. sooner or later (probably sooner) the "Man" will have it all figured out, and come to collect. when that day comes, i'll be legally riding passed the cop with your bike in his trunk...

here's a copy of the "cheat sheet" the cop gave me (notice how it's wrong anyway. it says "w/o pedals"):[/QUOTE]

The same chap that started this thread is sick of it, Hilarious!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i'm just sick of explaining it. it's pretty basic. the law's the law. whatever they say, goes.

i never cared until i was the one with the 400 dollar ticket. just trying to save other people from that. most people's bike's don't cost that much.

also, i feel i did all i can. if people wanna take my advice, read this and learn, fine.

if they don't, IDGAF.

i don't want to argue about the definition of "registration," or what this guy thinks or that cop said, 'cause ultimately, it's up to the guy riding the bike whether he wants a ticket or not, or worse.

plus, i ain't exactly trying to be a boy scout on this issue. as legal as i get, i'm still breaking the speed limit every day, and for my next bike, i'm shooting for 60mph+.

bluesjr

Mar 3, 2010
Ca
Thanks for all the info. I just noticed you attached a photo of your reg and plate. It's a good to be forewarned, rather than find out the hard way.

I'm not necessarily so cautious, but I decided to ask first rather than try to wing it during a traffic stop, so I stopped by my local police dept yesterday. They were very helpful at the desk and referred me to a patrol sgt, who should be getting back to me shortly with some answers. I'll report back on the (legal) climate up here in N. Calif (sf bay area).

bluesjr

MxG

Dec 28, 2009
long beach , CA
I met this guy at a motorcycle store down here in long beach that rides MB as well he said he has talk to many cops n said as long as u have a helmet n not doing over 35 they don't care

I guess cuz they have bigger things to worry about

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I doubt it like I said they have worse things to worry about thy a guy in a MB

i'm just trying to say, that's what i thought, and that's what i've been told by other cops.

but all it takes is one to ruin your day. or week. or however long it takes you to get the money to pay a stupid ticket.

Venice, that's a really good idea. the new bike i built is registered and i'm waiting on the plate still, but that's my plan, too.

and if i can come up with some cool lights, horns and mirrors, i'm gonna include them, too.

bluesjr

Mar 3, 2010
Ca
but all it takes is one to ruin your day. or week. or however long it takes you to get the money to pay a stupid ticket.
just spent 2.5 hours in traffic court this morning (my son). I'm not gonna f--k with those guys. I may have considered winging it before (i.e. play loosey-goosey with the law), but not anymore. I'm going legal all the way.

I'm gonna start including a DMV registration & plate with every bike I sell!
A very good idea. This is the way to take care of customers!

Last edited:

palmclub

Feb 17, 2010
Los Olivos Ca.
the laws are funny, i see your saying we need a M1 license, but in the reg it seems to say nothing about that but you need a [drivers license] section 406,,then they say in4020 a moterized bicycle operated upon a highway is exempt from regs. but 5030 says a moterized bicycle as defined in sec 406 is required to display a special license plate issued by the dept isnt a special license plate redistration????on the other issue i found that BoyGoFast on e-bay has a jingyi 8 music turn sigs and BRAKE light it works

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
the laws are funny, i see your saying we need a M1 license, but in the reg it seems to say nothing about that but you need a [drivers license] section 406,,then they say in4020 a moterized bicycle operated upon a highway is exempt from regs. but 5030 says a moterized bicycle as defined in sec 406 is required to display a special license plate issued by the dept isnt a special license plate redistration????on the other issue i found that BoyGoFast on e-bay has a jingyi 8 music turn sigs and BRAKE light it works
If you read Bairds first post on this thread, you'll see what the cops want us to do to be 100% legal in CA.
Nothing more, nothing less... :)

palmclub

Feb 17, 2010
Los Olivos Ca.
i,m with you im just not seeing in the by laws where is says M1,, M2 or just a license my freinds a highway patrol hes got one MB,, and he gave me a copy of the bylaws and he evan tells me its kinda vague bottom line were in for a ride to figure it all out

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
1. You need an M2 or M1 license endorsement.
2. You need a California DMV issued license plate.
3. You need a Headlight, with hi and low beam, taillight and brake light, left and right turn signals (both on the front and rear), and a horn (just like a motorcycle).
4. You must wear a DOT approved helmet at all times while operating your MB on public roadways.

It all is in the law books, written in plain english.
I know them because I read them over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, ad nauseum, untill I understood them.
Yes I was half blind and cross eyed for a few days afterwords, but I know the laws now. I know when a LEO is bs'ing me and where I stand if confronted by his interpretation of the law.

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
1. You need an M2 or M1 license endorsement.
2. You need a California DMV issued license plate.
3. You need a Headlight, with hi and low beam, taillight and brake light, left and right turn signals (both on the front and rear), and a horn (just like a motorcycle).
4. You must wear a DOT approved helmet at all times while operating your MB on public roadways.

It all is in the law books, written in plain english.
I know them because I read them over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, ad nauseum, untill I understood them.
Yes I was half blind and cross eyed for a few days afterwords, but I know the laws now. I know when a LEO is bs'ing me and where I stand if confronted by his interpretation of the law.
Where does it say that you need turn signals? Headlight and tail light are needed for night riding only. Brake light always.

They need to take everything in the code referring to mopeds, motorized bicycles, scooters, electric bicycles, and quadricycles, - and start from scratch. The way it is now , it is way to difficult to find out what you need for each.

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
didja ever look up the definition of "register?"

reg·is·ter (rj-str)
n.
a. A formal or official recording of items, names, or actions.

or, when you type in "motorize vehicle registration" into the DMV search to find the registration form, it says:

"This form is used to apply for original registration, transfer, duplicates, and substitutes for motorized bicycles (mopeds).

and if you look on my paperwork, it names me as "the registered owner."

you don't have to pay an "annual fee," but you still need to register it.

on the same page you found section 4020, here's this:

4001. All vehicles exempt from the payment of registration fees shall be registered as otherwise required by this code by the person having custody thereof, and he shall display upon the vehicle a license plate bearing distinguishing marks or symbols, which shall be furnished by the department free of charge.

Code section 4001 does not appear to apply to us since our "special" plate is not free of charge.

4001. All vehicles exempt from the payment of registration fees shall be registered as otherwise required by this code by the person having custody thereof, and he shall display upon the vehicle a license plate bearing distinguishing marks or symbols, which shall be furnished by the department free of charge.

4020. A motorized bicycle operated upon a highway is exempt from registration.

5030. A motorized bicycle, as defined in Section 406, is required to display a special license plate issued by the department.

5033. Upon proper application and payment of the fees specified in Section 5036, the department shall issue a special license plate and an identification card for the motorized bicycle for which application was made. Applications may be submitted by mail unless the department determines that it is not feasible to complete the identification process by such method.

The vehicle code is so messed up.