My kit didn't include a kill switch

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Any momentary switch will do (like a horn button for example), but it may be even simpler to skip it altogether & just "choke it to death" - which also leaves it in a nicely enriched state *shrug* Tis what I did w/my last build as the throttle I used had no kill switch, or any buttons for that matter ;)

59Cruiser

Aug 11, 2011
Mi
Ddesens,
Thanks for posting the picture of your kill switch. Thats a perfect switch for these bikes. I might buy something similar. You should take a heat gun tothat shrink wrap though.

BarelyAwake,
I thought about using the choke and might go that route. Hopefully it doesn't do anything bad for the motor. On the other hand, I kind of like the idea of a kill switch simply because its another cool little gadget on the bike.

Thing that is bothering me is that I don't want to scratch off any of my nicely fresh painted frame to ground out the magneto. If I go with the switch, I might just use a toggle like you have and connect it to the blue and black wires instead. I'm not sure yet. Have read conflicting information and decided to have a look inside the magneto tonight to see whats going on in there.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There is no need to scratch your paint. Forget the white wire, cap and wrap it and do as you said. Connect the two wires from any normally open momentary switch or any toggle to the blue and black wires. The black is a ground which is connected directly to the engine block via one of the screws that hold the magneto in place.
The kill switch circuit only needs to momentarily connect the blue wire to ground (black wire) to kill the engine.
I strongly support the use of an easily reached kill circuit on the handlebars for that once in a lifetime when you might really need to stop the engine in a hurry. You hope it never happens but having a way instead of reaching down and fumbling for the choke lever to shut down power is a good safety feature.
Tom

59Cruiser

Aug 11, 2011
Mi
Thanks Tom ... yes I opened it up a few minutes ago and agree 100%. A N.O. switch between the Black and Blue is the way to go.

xetaprime

Aug 31, 2011
florida
Is there any harm in using an on/off kill switch over a momentary? Once the engine's off it's off yes? No? I'm used to the on/off on my scooter that passed away....

Best wishes,
Xeta

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Is there any harm in using an on/off kill switch over a momentary? Once the engine's off it's off yes? No? I'm used to the on/off on my scooter that passed away....

Best wishes,
Xeta
No problem unless you forget to turn it off (contacts open) when you try to start your engine.
The beauty of the momentary switch is you'll never forget and pedal for a while until you remember. :)
Tom