Socal Motor Bicycle Racing @ Willow Springs May 6, 2017

GoldenMotor.com

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The Willow Springs gate LOCKS at 10pm Friday night.

The Willow Springs gate OPENS at 6:30 am Friday morning.

The Willow Springs gate OPENS at 6:30 am Saturday morning.

The second pit road back from the Kart Track will be coned off
and not be used for our pit spaces.

The front pit road by the starting line gate, PA shack and office trailer is
reserved for motorized bikes.

The fence going North from the Starting Grid Cover bordering the Big Track
is reserved for Peds and Quads.

No one can pit under the Starting Grid Cover.

We are racing clockwise and the second pit road will be the return lane
for Peds and Quads.

4 mph Pit Speed Limit. ( Walking Speed )
20 mph on access roads.
Thanks.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
For the few racers that aren't on Facebook.

Socal Motor Bicycle Racing RULES:

Racers Are RESPONSIBLE for knowing and following the Rules below.
No excuses.
WILLOW GATE LOCKS at 10 pm on Friday Night.

Please keep dogs on Leash and pick up poop.
Cash Only, sorry no Credit Cards.
Please bring exact change.

RIDERS MEETING IS 9:15 am on the bleachers by the fence.
RIDERS MEETING IS 9:15 am on the bleachers by the fence.
DO NOT BE LATE.
DO NOT BE LATE!!! We always have a tight schedule. Thanks.

Kids under 12 must be supervised by an adult especially if they are riding bikes, scooters, etc and wear safety gear.
Kids & Adults are not allowed to do stunts on skate boards, bikes, scooters, etc.
All minors riding or racing on the track must have their Parent or Guardian sign the Racer Waiver.

The Parent is responsible that the minor wears ALL their safety gear when they are in the pits and on the track.

If the minor gets on the track missing gear or has an unbuckled helmet that will be the end of the minors track riding for the day.

NO DRONES at Willow Springs. [ Will get you kicked out by Willow. :)
Not covered by Willow's Insurance.
NO FIREWORKS at Willow Springs. [ Will get you kicked out by Willow. :)
Not covered by Willow's Insurance.

4 mph In Pit Lanes & Parking Lots. ( WALKING SPEED ) PENALTY for Going Over. ;)
4 mph will feel very slow but it's a lot faster easier than pushing your Bike, Ped or Quad!
No tuning in the Pit Lanes or Parking Lots..........because it's 4 MPH.

NO DRINKING ALCOHOL. Smoking Pot or taking any drugs if you are riding on the track.
None of these are allowed on RaceDay if you are racing. You can not drink beer at Lunch.

Stay out of other Willow Races Pit Areas on your Bike, Ped or Quad.
Please only Walk their pit lane.
20 mph on Willow Access Roads. NO SPEEDING. :)

Everyone Must Sign the Racers Waiver before you get on the track.

Please bring your Helmet, Gloves, Pads, Shoes when you SIGN UP for inspection.
Please REMOVE ALL previous round color helmet stickers.

ALL SAFETY GEAR must be worn when you are on the track even during Fri Practice.
Getting on the track with an UNBUCKLED HELMET will end your race day.

Any racer on the start line without ALL gear will be sent back to pits and miss that race.

HOLD UP LEFT HAND when exiting the track or stopping.

Never ride the track backwards against the direction of the day even if there is no else on the track.
No exceptions even if you have to go the long way around and will be late for a race.

Only use the Track Entrance to get on the track on race day.
Only use the Track Exit to get off the track on race day.

No Dirty Racing. [ will be defined. ]

Race Hard, Have Fun, Be Safe.

There are NO SPEED LIMITS on the TRACK! :) only in the pits.
RESPECT Your Other Racers.
RESPECT Willow Springs.
Respect Me. I have the final decision on all matters.

RESPECT Everyone at Willow Springs.
No riding BIKES, PEDS & QUADS or starting or tuning Motors, Generators after 11pm.
No Noise after Midnight, most will be getting up at 6am.
Track is open for practice at 7am on Sat Raceday.

Be very careful who you let ride your BIKES, PEDS & QUADS.
If they do something dangerous or stupid you will be held responsible too.

Stupid stunts like getting on the track when it's closed,
blowing off fireworks in the bathroom,
speeding 50 mph down the pit lane,
getting so drunk you throw up,
getting in a fight, etc
being abusive and disrepectful,
will get you kicked out.

NO REFUNDS, ONLY CREDIT FOR FUTURE RACES.
No Credits after heats end.
No refunds if you are sent off the track for breaking rules.

Photographers on the track must wear an Orange Vest and sign an SMBR release form.

No Spectators are allowed on the track or in front of the fences.
All Spectators must sign the Waiver to be covered by insurance.

If there is an accident on the track the EMT and track staff will take care of it.
Spectators and racer friends please stay off the track unless asked to help.

Keeping everyone safe ensures the future of our races. Thanks!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I went, I raced, I fell down in practice 3 times. Trying to see how well my minarelli bike could corner with 2" wide rims and kenda kiniptions stretched onto them. So I kept going lower till I'd slide out. Having full leathers is awesome. No pain, some gains.

Got fourth with arguably the slowest bike out there. The centrifugal clutch doesn't rev up fast, so if you come out of a corner slow, you keep going slow, and being a moped motor, you can't pedal to make up for it.

But it's a fun bike, and I can make it faster. With more money.

It was cold. And windy. And more than half the track is uphill. Into the wind. I'm talking at least 10mph constant wind, with 20-30mph gusts.

It was funny watching everyone scooting up on their bikes, trying to unweight the rear wheel to get it to rev up and spin. Bunch of old fat jackrabbits on bikes. :)

Gilbert ruled it. Broke his belt drive in every heat, including the final. But luckily, it broke at the finish line in the final, and he won it. Great guy and always fun to watch.

The scooter kids (half of which are bearded men) were having a fun time bunny hopping all the massive cracks in the track. And, unlike the grange, had segregated pits, so we didn't have to listen to them constantly rev up their engines for no apparent reason. It appears that the only way to ride a go ped, is to hit the throttle every other second. Someone should look into that. Seems easier just to roll on the throttle (thumb it, whatever) and just putt away.

But it's great they let us come to their races.

Did I mention it was cold and windy? Most of us wore out leathers, jackets, etc, all day. Another awesome May day in California.

Most of the same faces, doing the same thing, and like always, I didn't take any pictures.

Thanks Neil for the free(zing) race, and thanks to my honda civic for going a total of 269 miles on a half tank.

See youse in october. ;)

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
It was cold. And windy. And more than half the track is uphill. Into the wind. I'm talking at least 10mph constant wind, with 20-30mph gusts.

Did I mention it was cold and windy? Most of us wore out leathers, jackets, etc, all day. Another awesome May day in California.

Most of the same faces, doing the same thing, and like always, I didn't take any pictures.

Thanks Neil for the free(zing) race, and thanks to my honda civic for going a total of 269 miles on a half tank.

See youse in October 21st at Grange. ;)
It was 66* and not cold at all when we were racing so I did not put on
shoes all day......I have many pics to prove that. :D laff

You do look kind of cold..........I just posted over 300 pics on FaceBook.

Hey, at least it wasn't pouring rain all day and cold with 8 racers! :)

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Always like your post Baird, missed you guys. And to Gilbert...Right On...great racer...
Check out the cool 300 pics on Facebook!

Gilbert was having problems all day but he pulled it out for the
10 lap final breaking down feet after he crossed the finish line.

Great seeing Easy Rider Ken #7 back at the track!
There was some exciting racing!

Last edited:

BobbyT

Mar 16, 2014
Santa Maria ca.
Thank You Neil,

The weather was great for racing! What a wonderful time Team Rebel Bike had at the races.

Thanks to all who showed up. We are looking forward to Grange in October. To those who didn't come to the races you missed out. Way more fun then Disneyland!

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
It was fun racing again and congrats to Gilbert. You definitely deserved that win. I had a blast just hanging out with some of the people I haven't seen in over a decade during the ISA goped days. It was also good seeing the ageless wonder Scotto! We had so much fun that Dean's going to get his orange and blue BoXers going so we can get a couple more bikes in the mid class for the next race.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That Willow Springs track look sucky! Soo Mickey Mouse, the layout........ but ya'll have fun though, I'm sure the experience of meeting other riders out there will make up for it.
The only thing that looks sucky at that track is the thought of Mr. Potato Head flying out of my exhaust after being lapped twice by lap 3!!!

Talk is cheap and you seem to be broke...keep on talking!!!! dance1

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
As always, great pitting with you scotto-! And thanks Neil for making these races happen. Fun as always and a really big turnout. Great seeing everybody.

Also, sent my helmet cam footage to Chris (the white drone flying all day). We should see sorting from him soon.
Still waiting to see any pics or vids from this race......?

As always it was a pleasure having Mr. Nashmoto to hangout with in the pits and all the others as well!!

Feb 2, 2017
California
The only thing that looks sucky at that track is the thought of Mr. Potato Head flying out of my exhaust after being lapped twice by lap 3!!!

Talk is cheap and you seem to be broke...keep on talking!!!! dance1
Tell you what scotto ol' boy...... I used to live in San Diego and I might be visiting there again soon. We shall set up cones in the parking lot of Miramar College and see who comes out on top! You ain't a true Daygo like I am..... I'M the one respresentin' SD! Get at me! xct2

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I'd like to see some video of the racing, if it wasn't on the other side of the country I'd come watch.
The last race of an action packed day, The Ultimate Race of Go-Peds vs. Motorized Bikes.

Scotto won on his monsta bike, GoPed was second and the very fast #23 Ryan just pulled off 3rd place beating out a fast #57 Dan on a Ped.

https://youtu.be/FfJksj8z0PE

Most of the video's and hundreds of pics are on Facebook as I have
given up on Flickr cause it's too hard to share from.
\
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SocalMotorBicycleRacing/