Called out by a 12-year-old!

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I'm taking my MB to work this week (first time in 5 years). I get off at 430pm instead of 6pm. That should be enough daylight to reach home before dark. Sunset's getting later.

So I do a dry run to work today, about 12 miles round trip. Past the homeless old man with his 4 pitbulls on the bike path. Past 4 kids on their bicycles in the middle of the single-lane road in the ghetto.

I reach my workplace and double back, past the 4 kids. They're waiting for me in the middle of the road. One jumps onto his goped with friction-drive and Chinese engine(maybe Chi-tsu, not 460). I hear the high-rpm clutch screaming. He follows me but turns back, never catches up at 25mph.

I guess they wanted me to turn around and race.

I kept going at 25mph.

Then I pass the jail and have an interesting conversation with some prisoners on work furlough. But that's another story.

So, has anyone gotten "called out" while riding their motorized bicycle?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Yeah, or a stoning or a confrontation.
So I'll change my route and use another side street.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
When I had my 24", full fendered, heavy Colson that did 50+mph, there was a group of kids around costa mesa with flipped handlebars, cut off exhausts, and junky walmart bikes that always tjought they could beat me.

I'd lead 'em on a bit, then merge into traffic and leave 'em putting down the bike lane.

No one ever beat that bike, and then it tried to kill me, so I sold it.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Nope. Lived near it, but never went.

When I moved to my current place a little more inland, after building my race bike, my harley riding landlord said, "that's awesome! You'll be the envy of every 12 year old on the block..."

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I'm taking my MB to work this week (first time in 5 years)...

So, has anyone gotten "called out" while riding their motorized bicycle?
Every time we ride, which is often just for testing in an area with abundant $350 MB's, there is always somebody that wants to race, how fun is that!

I don't build anything that can only go 25mph these days and some can do near twice that, but the kids that slap a cheap E-bay engine kit on a Cranbrook wanting to race me on anything I have built and testing at the time is always a fun ass kicking experience ;-}

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Nope. Lived near it, but never went.

When I moved to my current place a little more inland, after building my race bike, my harley riding landlord said, "that's awesome! You'll be the envy of every 12 year old on the block..."
Lol. So true.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Every time we ride, which is often just for testing in an area with abundant $350 MB's, there is always somebody that wants to race, how fun is that!

I don't build anything that can only go 25mph these days and some can do near twice that, but the kids that slap a cheap E-bay engine kit on a Cranbrook wanting to race me on anything I have built and testing at the time is always a fun ass kicking experience ;-}
I live in an urban/suburban metropolis. I've been challenged by a young teen on a fast moped at night in a congested neighborhood. The bottom line is that you can't win, even if you win. Going 50mph on a MB in my town, much less a narrow road is foolhardy. It's just not worth it. One wrong move and someone will pay for it, maybe an innocent bystander. I KNOW the judge would throw the book at me. Of course I should know better. I'll end up spending tens of thousands in legal fees to prove my case.

Riding 25mph on my motorized bicycle in my town is perfect. On my ride home today, I might've hit 32mph on an incline.

That's all I need. My bike is perfect for my needs. Dependable. No breakdowns. My tires last forever.

I could easily go for more power/more speed and swap in a 460. However, I'd have to deal with an undependable clutch and breakdowns.

Maybe I'll have my spare Tanaka engine ported. More power, same reliability, no breakdowns.

Riding to and from work today, I did not motor down the road where the 12-year-olds hang out.cvlt1

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I like ~32mph for the most part where I usually ride but I have no problem keeping up with 45+mph traffic.
I also have fun racing motorcycles, well once anyway...

I pulled up next to a big 'ole Harley at a highway underpass light.
He looked over at me and smirked a little.

I was on one of my really fast 2-stroke shifters and went into 'full race mode' when the light changed.
I caught him off guard and left him in my 2-stroke exhaust for ~1/4 mile before he caught up.

We both laughed at the next light which just happened to have a bar so we went in and had a beer, nice guy and we talked motorized bicycles for a bit but we kept getting distracted...

Did I mention it was a titty bar?
Those are the true stories I truly miss now that I can no longer ride and make new ones.

That's OK, I can still walk and gaining a greater appreciation of that every day since my 26yo son living here now can't.