Redignton Pass

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Been a little bored with my China Girl (HardRock) so I just decided just to force myself to ride her.

Camped out about 1 mile into trail number 4435 and made that my base camp.

For a day and half I used my base camp to ride Redignton Pass road and the numerous trails in the area.

Redignton Pass is a all dirt road that stretches from Tucson North to Mammoth,AZ. Right before San Manuel,Az you can hit Cascabel Rd to Benson,AZ.

There is some great trails that head up the Catalina Mountains or the Rincon mountains.

I had a great time! Between the trails and Redignton Road I put in over 109 miles. My butt and legs are sore;but its a good sore.

A few photos http://s1209.photobucket.com/user/RockHopper31/library/Redington Pass?sort=3&page=1

And a short Video of some of the fun I had http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUVaV2rweiQ&list=UUOpY8mwJ0pUp2qU_8PH7qjA&feature=c4-overview

I'll have some more video and photos uploaded at a later time.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
THAT, is some intense riding Dave. Thanks for sharing.
Just curious but did you use GPS or just know your way around? You got me lost quickly. I'd have never found that Ford Ranger again.

Thanks again for sharing that ride with us. If anyone has doubts about the reliability of a China girl, I'll recommend they watch your vids.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
No joke about the GPS! I've even taken my hiking GPS to the NASCAR race at Ft. Worth so I could just find my car in the parking lot! :D

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thanks guys glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully when I have more time I can download the rest of the photos and videos.

Just curious but did you use GPS or just know your way around? You got me lost quickly. I'd have never found that Ford Ranger again.

Tom
No Tom, no GPS. I've been riding ATV's and Dirt bikes and camping out in this area for so many years their is no way for me to get lost. And yet their is so many miles of trails all these years later I have yet to ride every single mile of them...but I am working on it lol.

Cool thing is I found a new ATV trail that they opened up that i did not know about. Way to difficult for a motorized bicycle but I cant wait to ride in on the quad.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
To whom was asking about the handlebar tank. Sorry I screwed up and deleted my PM's.

Its a tank that is most used on go-peds and such and is 1.5L here is a link http://www.gomeyer.com/rc-cars-scooters/goped-gas-tank-large-15l-long-fuel-lines-p-140.html

Yes, I can and I have had a three way valve that will allow me to choose which tank to run off of, or both at the same time.

This was a last minute decision to go so I just used the handlebar tank to top off my tank.

And no I don't always have it mounted on my bike just when I plan to go for long rides just for that added security. Sometimes I mount it to my bars, sometimes to my rear rack if i have it mounted.

Mileage? Its hard to really get an accurate fuel mileage from my bike. Everything seems to change it. From elevation to temperature to the terrain i ride to how much I am pulling.

About all I can say is I get anywhere from 50 to 80 miles to the gallon depending on the circumstances. I rely more on hours then mileage, 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours of riding and I know my tank is on fumes.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks, Dave.

Your photos and video brought back memories of a winter I spent in and around Tuscon five or six years ago. For a mid western boy who grew up in the Superior National Forest and lake country of northeastern Minnesota, the high desert of Arizona was as different for me as Mars. Virtually no water and all of the plants poke holes in your body. Ha!

As a boy I used to go the the Saturday matinee at the movies which was almost always a double feature of cowboy shows featuring heroic types like Hopalong Cassidy, Wild Bill Hickok and The Lone Ranger. I saw a lot of cactus at the movies, so when I got to be a geezer I had to pack up my retired ambulance, hook on my aging Airstream and head west old man! While I enjoyed my balmy winter there by April it was too hot for me and I discovered that the woman I had come west to rendezvous with was a Rose with deadly thorns. I couldn't wait to get back to my part of the world where the ice was just going out on the lakes and Roses wilt in the cold. It was -26 when I got up this morning and I admit that I wouldn't mind bike riding around Tuscon at all today, ever watchful for thorns of all kinds. Ride safe, avoid punctures.
SB

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Looks like its US Forest Service lands pictured. I guess my California OHV Registration should be OK on those trails if I get in that area. I don't have pedals only pegs on my machine, so its not called a motorized bicycle. They call it a motorcycle, but really it is only 3hp, I know.

I have some video before I changed my ape hanger handle bars to mountain bike type and got shocks on the fork. In the video I am going up a fire road chugging as it was 14:1 ratio now change to 21:1.

Makes me think I got to make time to do trail riding again soon!

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=16

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Looks like its US Forest Service lands pictured. I guess my California OHV Registration should be OK on those trails if I get in that area. I don't have pedals only pegs on my machine, so its not called a motorized bicycle. They call it a motorcycle, but really it is only 3hp, I know.

I have some video before I changed my ape hanger handle bars to mountain bike type and got shocks on the fork. In the video I am going up a fire road chugging as it was 14:1 ratio now change to 21:1.

Makes me think I got to make time to do trail riding again soon!

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=16
Very cool MT, I have read your thread and enjoyed it very much. You definitely have better gearing then me for trail riding.

And I believe so that your CA OHV should work in AZ if I am right up to 30 days. If you ever make it out here hit me up and we will tear up the trails together.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Thanks Dave31! I know I can be over doing it with the technical details, so feel free all to just look at the pictures.

I can though say that belt drive is lacking if you really have to start from a stop and climb a steep hill. I minimized my costs by using pulleys as a 10inch diameter gear for a 5/8 shaft can be as much as $250.00 and for $27.00 I got the same in a pulley. Go figure?

If I get just up to half the max speed at the 21:1 ratio during a run-up, which might be about 7mph, I can get up a steep hill but only if it is not continuous. I have walked aside the bike while powering it up a few trail sections. Then I get back on and see what is around the corner with map and GPS. I keep away from diamond trails or whatever the legend says most difficult.

Have fun!

MT