How to mount a Springer fork?

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I honor of the fact that my employment has been extended I have gone and bought a Springer fork for my new top secret project. However I am always cautious when approaching springs under tension. How do you get the top ring that attaches the spring to the steering tube off? Do you simply lift it off or should something be loosened or disconnected first?

scratg

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I remove the fork legs before unbolting the spring neck. There's probably a better way.
My motor kit will also be moved to a different frame and fork this summer. I still have a lot
of sanding, painting and wheel repair to do first.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I remove the fork legs before unbolting the spring neck. There's probably a better way.
My motor kit will also be moved to a different frame and fork this summer. I still have a lot
of sanding, painting and wheel repair to do first.
Do you mean taking the steering tube off of the fork? I was studying that possibility myself. You would think these things would come with some sort of instructions!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Yes. Instead of unbolting the spring, I separated the fork legs from the steerer.
I did that to avoid having to compress the spring during reassembly.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
For general information you can also get the spring off by clamping the edge of the steering tube ring in a firmly mounted vise and using the fork for leverage. Getting it back on involved a large pair of channel locks and a screwdriver.

So for the next question. Am I right in assuming once you get the top cone in over the bearings that the spring mounted ring goes on next followed by the locking nut? It seems like the proper way to go but I thought I would check. If anybody has a close up photo of their Springer assembly I would appreciate it. And the learning process continues!

.spr.