Bike hauler trailer

GoldenMotor.com

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Harbor Freight has a nice littler trailer that I got for $130. Configuring it to be convertible from a trash hauler to a bike hauler. Trying to work out how to leave the motorcycle rack mounted all the time and just mount the sides when needed for dump runs.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've been thinking about a trailer. I own a motorcycle luggage trailer that has a neat compact frame and a fiberglass body bolted to it. Converting it to a bike hauler would be a snap but my problem is I have nowhere to park the thing in my yard. Seems silly to put it at a space rental place and pay rent to store it.

Great idea, Wret. Show us some pictures of your bike mounted on it when you're finished.

Tom

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
This thing is small and light enough that I can lean it against the wall in the garage and not take up too much space, though I may need to eventually put a hinge on the front stop.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
I have one of those HF trailers in the 4x8 deck size, got probably 5,000 miles on it, few years back I drove it all the way to Tennessee and back fully loaded from Maine. Usefull tools. I made sides and stuff that bolt down to it and come off quick by using eye bolts like you have on the deck I assume for bike tie downs and a wingnut with a washer for the bottom, Gives you and easy way to have a hand removable thing you can quickly bolt on and off when you need it. Might make building the front wall simpler.

One tip on the wheels, the bearings on those hubs are metric and can be hard to find locally if one goes bad (HF doesn't seem to stock them either). I had a hub casting crack on mine and I was stuck a couple weeks waiting for parts to arrive before I could fix it because of the bearings. I've made a point of keeping a spare bearing on hand just in case since then. (they are an oddball 25mm size, I get mine from redtrailers.com) You might also want to check the bearing grease, mine needed to be repacked right off the shelf. Look after it and these things work hard for the money, my trailer doesn't owe me a cent.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Thanks for the tips. I already sprang for the spare tire, figuring a flat without a spare could set me back many hours and dollars.

Good idea about using wing nuts too but my thinking is that if I take off the bike holding gear for trash hauling it will probably coincide with having to call my wife to rescue me from a break-down and she won't know how to put the stuff back on. Right now the primary goal is hauling the bike to Maine for registration.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Also there should be #'s on the bearings should be able to get them at a parts store! like NAPA.........Curt