got a flip flop hub from BGF. what a POS...

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i just got this flip flop hub with a freewheel and sprocket from Boy Go Fast today and Gee Whiz what a piece of crap it is.

the 36t steel sprocket is attached to a left-side freewheel with junk hardware, and the freewheel itself feels about as smooth as a ohio forge ratchet wrench that was left out in the rain for 2 years. seems like if i rode it on one of my bikes, it would cease being a freewheel after a few miles and lock up.

the axle nuts don't even fit. i mean, they thread on, but they wobble like they're one size too big, and i think they're made outta, i dunno, something. melted beer cans.

the bearings in the hub...pfffft.

the whole thing sucks.

don't buy one.

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
i just got this flip flop hub with a freewheel and sprocket from Boy Go Fast today and Gee Whiz what a piece of crap it is.

the 36t steel sprocket is attached to a left-side freewheel with junk hardware, and the freewheel itself feels about as smooth as a ohio forge ratchet wrench that was left out in the rain for 2 years. seems like if i rode it on one of my bikes, it would cease being a freewheel after a few miles and lock up.

the axle nuts don't even fit. i mean, they thread on, but they wobble like they're one size too big, and i think they're made outta, i dunno, something. melted beer cans.

the bearings in the hub...pfffft.

the whole thing sucks.

don't buy one.
I would contact him and have him exchange it if at all possible, maybe you just got one of them lemons or something, it's always a gamble with the China made stuff we get most of the time, sometimes I wonder if we get their 2nd's and 3rd's and maybe Russia and the Middle East get the #1 stuff.....????????

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Bairdco

Sorry To Hear That. We All Look Forward To Our Little Purchase`s, Like A Mini Birthday Present.

A Week Ago I Got Two From "bicycle Engines. Also Ordered A $7. Throttle Cable To Get Free Shipping (order Over $100.). All The Piece`s Were Fine To Me. The Hub`s Have The Sealed Ball Brgs. The Hub Has A Rh And Lh Thread On The Left Side And Right Hand Thread On The Right Side.

The Left Hand Thread For The Left Hand Threaded Freewheel = A Larger Than Normal 1 3/8" Thread, The Freewheel Adapter With The 48 Tooth Sprocket Seems To Be Of Good Quailty. The Left Side Also Has The Standard Rh Thread For The Included Drum Brake Kit.

The Problem Is! I Already Have 2 Wheel`s With Standard 1 3/8" Left Hand Thread. Wanted To Just Use The Freewheel Sprocket Adapter = They Slide Over My Hub Threads. Now I Have More Nice Stuff On The Shelf.

Because The Freewheel Is Larger So Is The 48 Tooth Sprocket Center Hole. What Is A Girl To Do!! Lol. Duh. If You Relace The Hubs It Is A Gread Deal. But Nobody In My Abode Laces Wheels.

Now I Will Use A South Paw Sprocket And Bolt The Teeth To My 48 Tooth Sprocket With Smaller Center Hole. These Hubs Are In The 4 Stroke Parts Section. The 2 Stroke Hubs Have Non Freewheel Adapters. They Are Out Of 44 And 56 Tooth Sprockets For A While.

Sorry For Being So Windy!! Later Buddy. Ron

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
it's another case of the chinese taking advantage of the hardworking american consumer.

oh, wait. i'm unemployed. well, that's china's fault, too.

they're just getting back at us for the atom bomb.

wait... ;)

anyways.

i mostly wanted the hub, which if i buy a new axle, bearings, nuts, etc, it might work for what i have planned. i don't need a freewheel anyway, i want a fixie sprocket.

healingnations

Jan 5, 2011
Florida
BGF Flip Flop s-u-c-k-s

Yep, I can confirm this as well. His Hub totally stinks. I got one of his pieces of %^$# from Ebay and the threads are crap, almost couldn't get the freewheel back off without risking thread damage to it. I also confirm that the bearings are awful!! I posted neutral feedback on the purchase, but honestly even that is being too nice for this garbage. Ebay sent me a inquiry about it, and I just told'em the truth, the quality is sub-standard!

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
ohio forge ratchet wrench, why the bad rap on ohio, we were once the the rust belt of the world. **** we built the panama canal, the first air plane and just about everything else.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Amazing aint it? the crap they send you.
I learned the hard way as not to cut corners on stuff like hubs and sprockets.
Shimano hubs, Kings sales sprockets= no worries.
Kings just happens to make some beautiful sprockets that when bolted to a SPB heavy duty freewheel is about as good as it gets. I've never seen that combo fail.
BBB

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
ohio forge ratchet wrench, why the bad rap on ohio, we were once the the rust belt of the world. **** we built the panama canal, the first air plane and just about everything else.
i don't think ohio forge tools are made in ohio. they're usually in the dollar bin at Harbor freight, or a good truckstop.

i've got nothing against ohio. Devo's from there. :)