Tried bike for first time this afternoon: DIDNT WORK

GoldenMotor.com

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Don't worry about the oil when the engine has not started, it will run on that mix. If you don't know where the choke is then you need to go to small engine 1 o 1, and that will be hard from a computer screen. One of the problems with this 2 stroke kit is that they need a bit of fettling just to make them work correct. If you have the CNS carb the choke is on the handlebar, that would be the best carb for a beginner. A new engine will need a lot of choke. If you are new to this sport don't try and adjust the choke while riding. Put the choke on full, pedal the bike with a liberal amount of throttle when the engine starts it will only run for a few seconds. Stop the bike and adjust the choke to a little more than half. start again and this time with the same amount of throttle when the engine starts pull the clutch in and see how long you can keep the engine running, do not rev the engine to a high rate of speed. It will probably stop again go back to the full choke and do the same thing over till you work up some heat in the engine and it can sustain the leaner mixture of petrol and keep running. You don't need to be riding the bike to run the engine in for the first few minutes try and get the engine to settle down to something you like. Look around on this sight to find suggestions of tunning. Keep close attention of the drive sprockets the square teeth will kill you they do not fetch into the chain proper so every bike I build I have to contour the teeth, just look at real motorcycle for the proper contour. To check for spark just remove plug and lay on the head and rotate the engine look for a spark, you should be able to do this by leaning the bike over on the stand and pushing a pedal through. Have fun, Dave

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Thanks for your input. The motor with 50 miles on it starts and runs perfect and doesn't smoke at all so I don't think I'll fool with it. It's just like it was when it came out of the box. I haven't adjusted anything on it.

ncfootballchamp

Aug 29, 2010
USA
killercanuck dont worry about it

thanks to everyone who responded to this. im planning to try out many of these suggestions this weekend and I'll let you know how it goes

ncfootballchamp

Aug 29, 2010
USA
alright I tried to follow Egor's instructions without changing anything else, just to begin with, but I can't even get the engine to engage at all. The carb is getting gass, as the little pink tubes are dripping from time to time, but the engine is showing no signs of engagement ie no sputtering to life and then dying.

Given these circumstances, what is likely the problem?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm assuming the clutch is engaing- it sounds electrical- check the connections again and make sure the wires are hooked to the right ones. Be sure the plug wireis tight and that the kill switch isn't stuck otherwise. White wire to ground.