Choosing the right bike - Single Speed? Does it matter?

GoldenMotor.com

veniceverges

Jun 1, 2009
Venice, CA
Hello everyone, I'm brand new to this and really excited about getting started.

Is it ideal to use a single speed bike? Does having 3, 10, 12 speeds on you bike complicate the build?
Can you use multiple speeds while operating the bike with the engine?
I'm clueless. Please help

What is the best brand of gas engine? ? ? ? Is there one that stands out amongst the rest?
I want to build an 80cc. Is 2-stroke the way to go?
I can buy a RAW locally for $160 so that appeals to me. Are they good?

I'm open to all "Newbie" advice, no matter how obvious it may seem.

Thanks for the help!
VeniceVerges

Last edited:

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
The gearing on the bike doesn't matter since the motor drives a seperate sprocket on the other side of the wheel. Gears are nice, however, for making it easy to pedal from a dead stop (you need to pedal a bit before kicking in the engine). You can buy a jackshaft kit which will allow you to use the motor with the bike's gears, but it costs an arm, a leg, and possibly a kidney.

Idk much about the quality of the RAW engines. I'll just say that it seems to really be a "luck of the draw" sort of thing with these Chinese motors. For this reason, a vendor with good customer support is great.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
If you haven't bought the bike yet it depends on your budget. If you can't afford a new "bike shop" bike. Then I think you are way better off to search craigslist for one instead of buying a new dept. store bike. There are alot of differences that aren't so obvious. Esp. in the bikes hubs. Lot of walmart type bikes have a rear hub that has the right side bearing inset quite a ways. The rear cluster screws on like a single speed freewheel does. The ratchet inside is poor. The tires bad and spokes are soft. Poor brakes. There's a reason for the $200 difference in price. Mt. Bikes are way easier first builds. Single or multi speed only matters if you want to do a shift kit later. But generally a multi speed rear hub on a good bike is a better hub and easier to build. Please read the sticky's about motor prep etc. It will save you tons of greif. Motor opinions are going to vary alot. I buy all my motors from Zoom cause I've had good luck with them.

veniceverges

Jun 1, 2009
Venice, CA
Thanks TheE and Junster,
This is great info to have.
Please keep it coming everyone. Consider me a sponge for info! ! ! !

Junster - Where do you find these Sticky's?
Still figuring out the nav of this site. Lots of hunting to get where I want to go.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
At the begining of almost every section in the forum the first few posts are labled "sticky" that's because they were deemed to have info important enough to remain at the top of the list.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
As far as I am concerned craigslist is the only way to go to find a bike for your MB projects. I have got some unbelievable buys there. Look for older Mt. bikes with the small chrome moly tube frames, Most of the, the Giants, Schwinns, Treks ect. were about $400 Mt. bikes when they were new. They can usually be had for around $50. They make for a really easy and dependable build since they have really good components.

John