My New "Antique" Schwinn Corvette

GoldenMotor.com

dwsutton

Jul 16, 2008
Well almost done with my 6th or possibly 7th build. I hadn't even thought about building a new bike yet I was in Kmart on accident looking for something Walmart didn't have and there she was - A Schwinn Wayfarer on sale for $149.00. I wanted black because I like to match the tank color and black is black. So I get home and hate the factory decals and decide to sand prime the frame ( which sorta defeated buying a black bike ) shoot the ebony black and 6 coats of clear then make up some decals on my plotter and lay them on the chainguard and tank then 6 coats of clear over them. Just finished the test drive and drove over to my friends house and his neighbor walks over and asked where I got the antique schwinn ..... big smile. Thanks to all of those on the forum that answered questions - I haven't asked any but this has been a valuable resource for ideas and troubleshooting.

David

Mar 31, 2013
RI
Well almost done with my 6th or possibly 7th build. I hadn't even thought about building a new bike yet I was in Kmart on accident looking for something Walmart didn't have and there she was - A Schwinn Wayfarer on sale for $149.00. I wanted black because I like to match the tank color and black is black. So I get home and hate the factory decals and decide to sand prime the frame ( which sorta defeated buying a black bike ) shoot the ebony black and 6 coats of clear then make up some decals on my plotter and lay them on the chainguard and tank then 6 coats of clear over them. Just finished the test drive and drove over to my friends house and his neighbor walks over and asked where I got the antique schwinn ..... big smile. Thanks to all of those on the forum that answered questions - I haven't asked any but this has been a valuable resource for ideas and troubleshooting.

David

...nice looking bike man and yeah buddy, if you are motivated you don't need to ask questions to find your answers!

peace, bozo

btw, i just got me a set of those baskets but i haven't installed them yet and so i was wondering how you liked them on your bike? ...do they rattle really bad? ...those are the Wald 582's right?

dwsutton

Jul 16, 2008
...nice looking bike man and yeah buddy, if you are motivated you don't need to ask questions to find your answers!

peace, bozo

btw, i just got me a set of those baskets but i haven't installed them yet and so i was wondering how you liked them on your bike? ...do they rattle really bad? ...those are the Wald 582's right?
This is the third bike Ive used them on. When they are folded up they have no rattle at all - it is really pretty tight clipped up. As far as open - no, I havent noticed any rattle there either. I drive it down to the grocery store when I want a loaf of bread and a 6 pack ;) and also to the gas station to get 1 gallon of gas :) I think the baskets are awesome.

http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=1246

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Nice ride! I bet she rolls real nice, and she does look classy :D

These are great errand-runners when those baskets are deployed!

I have a pair of 582s that I bought in 2007, secured to a Topeak Explorer rack. Followed me through 4 bikes now, extremely utilitarian :D

I found a pair of 1 gallon plastic cans that would slot in a single basket perfectly, came in real handy in my chinagirl days.

If you roll with them unfolded and empty, they'll make some noise and may not stay where they are. When I roll like that I just use a pair of zipties.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
This is the third bike Ive used them on. When they are folded up they have no rattle at all - it is really pretty tight clipped up. As far as open - no, I havent noticed any rattle there either. I drive it down to the grocery store when I want a loaf of bread and a 6 pack ;) and also to the gas station to get 1 gallon of gas :) I think the baskets are awesome.

http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=1246
Nice ride! I bet she rolls real nice, and she does look classy :D

These are great errand-runners when those baskets are deployed!

I have a pair of 582s that I bought in 2007, secured to a Topeak Explorer rack. Followed me through 4 bikes now, extremely utilitarian :D

I found a pair of 1 gallon plastic cans that would slot in a single basket perfectly, came in real handy in my chinagirl days.

If you roll with them unfolded and empty, they'll make some noise and may not stay where they are. When I roll like that I just use a pair of zipties.
thank you both for the feedback, ...i feel a lot more confident with my choice and as soon as my new gastank arrives from Coyote Gear i'll be able to finalize my seat and rack position so i can install the baskets, ...it's getting to be a real pain wearing a backpack everywhere i go.

anyway, sorry to jack your thread dwsutton, ...i really do dig your bike too man, i scanned through your album and it looks nice from all angles.

peace, bozo

dwsutton

Jul 16, 2008
No worries :) Thanks for the kind feedback. Just added a speed carb today with an O ring which ended a pain in the &$% intake leak. Not sure I would say it is any faster but she will do 32 flat out before the break in is done which is really good compared to some of my other builds. I'm considering polishing ports too.