Hello from San Diego County

GoldenMotor.com

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
After lurking on this forum for a while I decided to build a friction drive motorized bicycle. I bought a Phat Sea Breeze off Craigslist. It is a steel cruiser with 14 gauge stainless steel spokes. 36 spoke double walled rims. It has a coaster brake which is worthless on the hills around here. Ordered a Tektro caliper brake, lever and cable from Amazon. Replaced the rear tire with a Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tire. The front tire is in the mail. Birthday is next month when I will buy the FD from Staton.

I am excited to get her on the road. I have had motorcycles in the past. Sold my Triumph Scrambler to finance the move to So Cal. Can't really justify dropping the coin for a motorcycle. The problem with a motorcycle is that you miss the sensation of riding a bike because they are so fast. I want to slow down and enjoy the scenery.

A motorized bicycle should be perfect for what I want to do. I considered electric, the problem is a quality kit is at least $1000.00. And the batteries are heavy, range is limited. Don't get me wrong, I would love an electric Brompton folding bike. They are sweet.

I am slowly converting my bike. It is really fun to convert it slowly, enjoying the journey.

Thanks for all of the great advice I have read on this forum. While I haven't asked anyone specifically a question, the knowledge contained in this forum was extremely helpful. I know that if I have a problem there is probably someone on the forum who has already experienced it, solved it and written about it.

Thanks,

Phatcruiser.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you had to sell the Scrambler but San Diego is a place like no other. Friction drive should work well in the relatively dry SoCal climate.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Welcome aboard.

Yeah, the loss of the Triumph is a pity.

But you're right in thinking that riding a bike with just a bit of help from a motor is a wonderful feeling. When conditions are right, it's heaven.

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
wheelbender6, San Diego is awesome in so many ways. Love it here. The Triumph was a sweet bike. Thanks for the welcome.

Bluegoatwoods, I can't wait to cruise the coast. Great way to spend a Saturday. cvlt1