Evil Muffler

GoldenMotor.com

Comrade Alfonzo

Jul 15, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
so by this time I have ridden more with the end cap in "fallen out position" than with it in, and it's driving me crazy!! I tried with loctite on the screw and it melted away, so I hose clamped a "Cola" can on the end and had to pie cut a section of it because the muffler is narrower than the can. within 5minutes of this addition it was tearing open and falling off the end, is the solution to put the cap on the muffler and then the can over it to hold it on. I'm thinkin the back pressure tore the can that proceeded to loosen and tear further so the cap would shield the slit in the can in the from the back pressure and the pressure would be distributed evenly instead of focusing on the slit. BTW its a black cat con muff from a year or two ago.

Comrade Alfonzo

Jul 15, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
I looked at the new ones, none are welded, I don't have access to welding equiptment, I'm going to buy a SBP pipe in the spring as light and sunshine return to the PNW, right now I just need it to stay on, who thinks putting the cap on and then the can will work.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A welding shop would probably charge five bucks to spot weld the end cap on for you.
Two small welds and if the need ever arises that you have to remove it, a Dremel tool would cut the welds in a few seconds. Or, like the man said...order a new one. Most if not all of the sponsors here will be able to take care of it for you.
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have used muffler sealer on the threads with success where loctite would burn away. Works well.

Aug 23, 2010
Michigan
if the sealer don't work

do you have a drill and some pop rivets or sheet metal screws.
measure the inside lip on the cap mark outside in three spots around the outside,
put cap back on clamp it together, drill/pop rivet or metal screw it.

if you wanted to get fancy you could cut three slots next to the right side of the holes so it turns and locks in place before you fasten it down.