Mounting Engine without a ton of tools?

GoldenMotor.com

Brian Truman

Sep 18, 2009
Baton Rouge
Hey guys,

Brand-spankin' new to the whole motorized bicycle world, and decided to give it a try.

I have found a solution for everything I have come across in the process of adding a chain-driven motor to my bicycle; except for mounting the motor on the back.

I have to put it on a stand for the back that attatches to the bike at a single point just below the seat, simply because I don't have a welder, plasma cutter, or grinder or so. pretty much the only tools I have are a power drill, a dremmel (which has been working as a grinder for me), and a sockett wrench. If It's something simple I need, I probably have it, but those, along with JB Weld are the main things I've used.

Plain and simple, I need to mount the motor, and I don't really have alot to do it with. If you guys have any suggestions or so for me, please let me know. The main issue so far is not keeping it on, however it is keeping it in just the right place to keep the chain on. If you have any idea as to what to do. I also don't really want to spend alot more money on this. I've put in around $120 so far, when I originally thought it would be more like $50.

Thanks a ton guys, and I can put some pictures up later if you need them because I'm crazy vaque or so.

-Brian Truman.

P.S. I did search before, but nobody was in the same prediciment I'm in.

.xx.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
Some end wrenches are what you need.You might have a set,i dont know.Keep reading and someone will help.Post some pictures soon.Harleys Dad

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
If you have alot to grind that drill with a grinding stone will work alot faster than a dremel. Hack saw if needed is cheap, just use your imagination and tool king can be your friend. The only special tool Ive needed so far was a 15mm super thin wrench for an axle locking nut. Tools youll need dont need to be snapon type tools with a lifetime of debt to pay for. Heck if you bought a 100pc tool set youd have 95% of what ever youd need and those kits can be had for $50 or cheaper/higher depending on the quality you want. Ive seen alot of speacialized tools for cassetes and cranksets but I havnt got into a bike that far yet maybe some day theyll be needed.......

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
For keeping the engine aligned I would look at how the SBP jack shafts are mounted. I always had a problem with mine tilting until I went that method. It's basically an 8" plate you mount to the engine, that has a mount on the top and bottom to attach to your frame. You can easily make one your self and it will keep it aligned nicely.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Mine doesn't tilt/slide/lean at all since I ran a self drilling metal screw through the front mount into the frame tube.

Brian Truman

Sep 18, 2009
Baton Rouge
Thanks for the help guys. I do have all the tools you said I might need; but unfortunately I can't really seem to find a way that works.

I do still have the plastic casing on it, so I'm contemplating just setting a couple bolts through there to keep it straight, while using so other form of attachment to keep it on there.