Thwarted!

GoldenMotor.com

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Ever had one of these days?

I've been so busy with family and work this year personal time is precious. Well today I figured I've got a couple hours to myself so Ill put the 36t sprocket Neil (motorbicycleracing) sent me.

Went out to the garage and found a puddle of fuel around the bike, hmmm, glad I had ordered an extra petcock from Pablo! Wow don't even need to drain the tank lol.

Swapped out the sprocket right quick and yep I need a half link or a whole link taken out. I think it might be ok to take for a test spin so I roll it out of the garage and start looking the bike over, I rode it dang hard and in some real cold weather last time out so I give it a good look over, uh oh. My rear engine mount lost a stud and of course the other nut is loose.

Glad I'm always checking stuff.

All I wanted to do was swap a sprocket and go for a ride lol. Wow it's so important to keep spare parts handy.

Dan.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Glad you caught the broken engine mount, Dan. That could have caused some problems, for sure. Sorry about your smelly garage though.

I'm pretty safety conscience, as everyone knows and I tend to do a lot of pre-flighting before riding. I don't do it much after a ride so it's always a little frightening when you find something that could/might have caused you problems if you'd ridden away without catching it.
I was going out for a short ride today with my niece, who is very bicycle savy and who has ridden my motorized bicycles before. But before we pulled out of the garage I found the rear seat mount on the bike she was going to ride loose where it bolts to the rear drop outs. If either or both bolts would have fallen out the seat would have dropped into the rear tire. That could have either been funny, or an accident. I tightened the two 6mm bolts and found nothing else wrong or loose and we enjoyed a half hour ride in the sunshine before turkey time. Oh, and those bolts were still tight when we got home.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Yep, these things can be sneaky biotchs at times ---- when you least expect it, they'll give you a hard reality slap.........

Glad you're one of the guys that actually check their machine before taking it for a spin!

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Sounds like you had a great day 2Door!

I've wore many hats in my day but some jobs just grind it into you. When I was a kid I worked on a ranch, in the service a jet mechanic and for years and years riding dirt bikes and on and off my entire life sanctioned racing, drag and track.

I try to be one of those do it right the first time type of guy lol.

In the end, no ride today lol, should have taken a peddle bike ride if I would have thought about it.

Dan.