Gas tank cream for inside coat?

GoldenMotor.com

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
My tank has a lot of rust. I know Ive gotta put bolts and gasoline and shake it up to clean it. And I'm on my way to get an in-line fuel filter but will that be enough? The cream for the inside of the tank to make a new coat is fifty bucks from the motorcycle store. Any info appreciated.

aspireonescs

Jan 4, 2010
Saint Marys county, Maryland
i used bb's for a air gun in mine, shook it till my hands were tired then rinsed it out with gas, havent put a inline filter in yet, but i always check the in tank filter with a flashlight, so far it hasent clogged up :) but if i did it all over agian i would pay the 50 bucks for the cream and put a inline filter in, just to be safe.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
you can use muriatic acid from any local hardware store mixed with with water per directions and remove all rust overnight by just letting it soak inside the tank . Use with caution .

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
I restore vintage motorcycles and use POR-15 to line the tank & remove rust/debris. I do not advise cream to inhibit rust or removing debris. However, the tumbler method is very reliable when used with the POR-15. Note that POR-15 cost more than cream, but worth every penniy.

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina
I'm a big supporter of the BB method. go buy a few from walmart and find a NAPA or body shop and have them put it in the paint shaker. Empty BB's and rinse with paint thinner. Use a good inline filter and your golden. (Edelbrock makes a real nice clear filter with replaceable elements)