Engine Noise

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I am breaking in a 2 cycle china. The engine makes a pinging noise(perhaps it is a detonation).
Kinda sounds like a diesel engine. I have 50 mi on the engine. Is this sound normaL? The fuel mixture is 32/1

Attachments

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Yes I do have a centrifigual clutch. Doesn,t sound like the c-clutch but I can't rule that out.

Thanks

Russ

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
These Chinese 2 strokes make so many wierd noises I quit worrying about it. Some of them make a whining noise, some a knocking noise. Just ride it, if it blows up buy another one. At this price they are almost disposible.

John

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
When i was a kid and had a minibike the centi clutch made pinging noises. Also my kit make alot of noise from the clutch cover I take it off and teir is alot less noise comming from their. I am thinking about just leaving it off.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i might take off my clutch cover and take it for a ride and see if there is less noise.
right now mine sounds like someones rubbing a pot with a spoon,lol. i already tried putting on 3 gaskets.

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
My newest one rattles something fierce. When I put my hands on the cooling fins it's much quieter. I knew the fins could make noise, but had no idea they could be that loud. In the process of finding an old fan belt to cut up, to wedge small pieces in between the fins and see if that helps.

Last edited:

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
yer every so often mine makes a weird noise. if i ride it enought it just goes away :).
or i get amune to it. good old chineese know how to make a musical instument aswell.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sometimes that "pinging noise" can be attributed to the mounts being loose, believe it or not. In most cases it sounds like detonation, something these 6.5:1 compression ratio engines are not really capable of. Also, the bushed engines have a lot of top end noise (99.6% harmless)