New guy in Colorado

GoldenMotor.com

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
I've been lurking for a few days now. I'm interested in trying a motorized bike project because I love tinkering with anything with a motor, and this project will probably more affordable than any other motorized project. I'm now unemployed so affordability is a big factor. Even though some wouldn't consider it a prudent way to spend money, I have to keep my sanity. Luckily, my wife is still employed and understands my need to tinker.

I am thinking about doing a beach cruiser with a basic engine kit from one of the numerous online vendors. I ckecked into used bikes from Craigslist and pawn shops. There weren't any that had the "style" that I liked. I found some good candidates at Walmart and Target. I saw an Iron Horse Beach Cruiser that was on clearance for $80 today. The new bike is close to the same price a the used bikes I saw.

Now I'm trying to decide on which engine kit I should go with. I'm a big dude so I'm considering a Skyhawk kit. I'll probably pick up the bike tomorrow and do some more reading on the various engine kits and vendors.

Hopefully, I can provide some input after my experiences. I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions along the way.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Asian,
If I can offer any advice it would be to stick to a reputable seller when you decide on an engine kit. There is so little difference in the motors and kits that the real consideration is after sale support. All of our sponsors here, listed down each side of this page, have good reputations as far as customer support which is more important that claims of power, price, etc.
The cruiser style bike is a better option as far as ride comfort is concerned. The traditional mountain bike, which is so popular and available in our state makes a good motor bike but the ride is not as comfortable as a fat tire cruiser.
Where in Colorado are you? There are several of us in the Denver Metro area and any of us could offer you help and advice during your build. Good luck; keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask questions. We're all here to assist in any way we can.
Tom

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
I have decided to go with a SkyHawk GT5 kit from a vendor (King's). It wasn't till I started checking the banners that I saw that they already had one on here. I picked up my bike today, pretty decent considering the price. I mentioned something about putting an engine on it and the store's "bike guy" seemd interested.

BTW: I'm in Longmont

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That's going to make a comfy ride, I assure you. Add a lay-back seat post and you're in for some fun. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you need help or advice during the install. That front mount might need some help but there's plenty here.
Longmont isn't that far away. Maybe come spring we can get you down to the Denver area. You'll be riding by then, no doubt. Keep in touch.
Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. The blue beach cruiser in the pic looks like a Dyno. What brand is it?

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
It's an Iron Horse. At least that's what it says on it, who knows who actually made it. I want to put a springer front end and some kind of front brake on it. I don't think the coaster brake will be enough when I get the motor installed.