Tool suggestion

GoldenMotor.com

frogbiscuit

Jun 20, 2012
Northern VA
I broke out this and it has been invaluable, especially setting the rear sprocket:

I think I paid $20 for my set. I also have a set of vintage Starretts, but they pretty much stay in their original wood box.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
I tell ya, I bought a crappy 6 dollar plastic Vernier caliper at Canadian Tire and never did I ever think I would use it so much.
So much so that now I want a nice metal one, inexpensive but decent enough quality.
I love these things.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Calipers and dial indicators are big time worth the investment!

I bought a cheapie caliper for what I thought was a one time use and comes in so handy, I now own 3.

Wheel truing stands are way, way over priced. IMHO. You can take a couple of dial indicators and make a really cool one or improvise with a caliper and some flat stock or wood.

The one bad thing about em, they let you know how far off you are, lol. I used to think I trued wheels fairly well and good enough by eye. nope

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Was thinking about that Allen. The joy and bond ya get with tools. I'm building a shop, so sort of been noticing where all the tools are and thinking about how to set up. Noticed my good caliper which is not all that good but works more then well enough for my purposes. Admiring the fine plastic case, it just sort of made me happy to see it and know where it is.

When ya run in to a problem or puzzle and can just reach in to a draw and pull out the right tool for the right job, is just a joy....

I wonder if this is what Carol feels when shoe shopping?
Makes fun of me for how glowingly I talk about my tools but lets see her fabricate an engine mount with a pair of 3" pumps! snork

Sorry about the ramble on your thread FrogBiscuit.

Really great nicname by the way.

Last edited: