What's the deal with 2-stroke engines...can they still be bought?

GoldenMotor.com
Mar 9, 2008
Kodiak, Alaska
I'm completely confused on what (if any) regulations come into play this year regarding the legal importation of the 49cc and 66/80cc 2-stroke engines.

I noticed that Pirate Cycles no longer is offering the Grubee kits anymore.

Half of the websites list "EPA certified" engines. What does that mean?

Not sure what I'm asking, other than - what's going on? If I want a 2-stroke 66cc engine should I buy it now, even though I'm not going to be getting the frame for awhile?

Thanks.
Spicy

Last edited:

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I believe their performance 2 strokes are soon to be released as to why there are no stock kits available on their website..These motors aren't going anywhere that I know of.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
They've been sellin' the PK80s for a while, I think they prolly jus' updated the site is all *shrug*

Every year there's an EPA 2-stroke ban scare, and every year it turns out to be hype to promote 4-strokes... I'd not worry about it lol ;)

PutsTheDUIinRUINED

Oct 17, 2009
'zona
EPA ratings for China Two-Strokes have been changed from 40CFR 90 (off road and non hand-held machines) to 40CFR 1051 (off road recreational vehicles), which, do not meet the emissions required for other countries to export to the USA. This means we need a cheap, reliable, and awesome distributor of two-strokes in the United States (Canada also has adopted this law, so a Canadian-made engine will also comply).

This little snafu is temporary...hopefully.