just bought my project bike

GoldenMotor.com

chad223

Sep 20, 2010
NC
I'm new to this. I just picked up an old Western Flyer "Grand Trophy" for $40 from a guy on Craigslist. It was a great deal, the bikes in good shape and is a perfect stance and size for me. I don't like the color though. I was going to leave it red at first but then I found out it was only made in the 90's, so whatever. I think I'll paint it black or dark green. I'm excited to start the project. I'm ordering the motor kit next month when I have money.

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That will be a great platform for a motorized bicycle. Good lines and any engine kit will fit. Just a word of caution about the fenders however. The front one especially can give you problems which could be dangerous. Keep a close eye on the mounts and preferably reinforce them if you choose to retain the fenders.
Most cruiser styles will require a custom front engine mount. Yours however appears to be more of a 'V' frame which might allow for a bolt on installation. Lots of good ideas here on that subject if you need it.
Also, most cruiser style frames will benefit from a lay-back seat post which will make for a very comfy ride. Good luck and keep us posted on your build. Don't hesitate to ask if questions or problems arise.
Tom

Last edited:

chad223

Sep 20, 2010
NC
That will be a great platform for a motorized bicycle. Good lines and any engine kit will fit. Just a word of caution about the fenders however. The front one especially can give you problems which could be dangerous. Keep a close eye on the mounts and preferably reinforce them if you choose to retain the fenders.
Most cruiser styles will require a custom front engine mount. Yours however appears to be more of a 'V' frame which might allow for a bolt on installation. Lots of good ideas here on that subject if you need it.
Also, most cruiser style frames will benefit from a lay-back seat post which will make for a very comfy ride. Good luck and keep us posted on your build. Don't hesitate to ask if questions or problems arise.
Tom
Thanks for the info. What sort of problems with the fenders are you talking about? Are you saying reinforce reinforce the fender mounts?

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Odds are that you will incur some vibration while riding. The fender braces and mounts (hanger) tend to wear and break over time and the end result is your fender being jammed into your forks.

Very nice find on the bike!!

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Fender issues
Front fender breaks loose and grabs hold of the front wheel
Wheel looks like a taco, your face looks like the mush that Taco bell puts in theirs

replace the stock little tab with 2 hardware angles on either side of the mounting post , use nuts and bolts to mount them instead of pop rivets

there is a real good tutorial somewhere in this forum, with pictures

Rear fender came off of my first bike the second day I rode it, after that all rear fenders get reinforced and front fenders come off

Oh yeah
Great bike it looks like and engine will slide in there with no mods
I like that color

Last edited:

Roach

Sep 16, 2010
wisconsin
whenever I see a bike like this I wonder if the tank will fit in that upper triangle instead of on top. It almost looks large enough to bash it in there.

But nobody ever does it so I assume it just won't fit. Be cool if it did.

chad223

Sep 20, 2010
NC
whenever I see a bike like this I wonder if the tank will fit in that upper triangle instead of on top. It almost looks large enough to bash it in there.

But nobody ever does it so I assume it just won't fit. Be cool if it did.

Yeah me too. Idt it's big enough though, especially in the back.