what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Cried inside as my toddler picked up a big screwdriver and smacked a small chip off my new paint job. Spent a few seconds dancing around like a netball goalie defending my bike before spending a few minutes as counsellor to stop the crying after taking the tool away.
Who ever thought attached garages were a good idea !?

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
Well, I think I found the answer to the squealing noise. No grease in the 'tranny'. Removed the clutch cable guide, looked down in there. Dry as dust. Now, the only grease I have is some black all-purpose grease. It's pretty thick. Almost as thick as the yellow stuff. Says it's good for wheel bearings. High temp. Up to 275ºF. Haven't put any in yet. Wanting to get some opinions on it first. Rainy here for the next few days, so won't be doing any riding. You guys think it would be okay to use?

Greg

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I use Lucas Red-N-Tacky. The 'drop point' on it is 540*F. It's what I use on everything that uses conventional grease.

Good luck!!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
It will probably be hard to get thick grease to the bearings, I have a u-joint needle that has a zerk fitting to use a grease gun that works good for this. It is small enough to stick in the threaded hole so you can pump grease inside. I just today took down one of my engines for a similar noise in the transmission, mine had a scraping sound you could hear with engine off and pedaling. I took off the flower nut and clutch plate and spun the clutch by sprocket, and noticed the large gear was not totally true it had a slight wobble. I removed the large gear anyway to check the bearing undernieth, I spun the shaft again and it was smooth and true. I put mine back together, now that I know the source I'm OK with it.

Last edited:

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Today I sprayed what is hopefully the final color coat to my GT2A-S. Went to the HW store to try to source a 90° elbow for my fuel shut off and searched the internet in vain for a M10x1.0 street elbow. These fuel valve fittings are a PITA.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Got some riding done. Was hoping for a bit more than that. I motored down to the local O'Reilly's Auto Parts store to do a bit of brainstorming (and browsing, can't lie). I have a place on my tank, just back of the gas cap, where a little bit of fuel always seems to get on the paint and dissolves it off. So I was looking a fuel-proof washer (wouldn't really solve anything because it seems to be only a drop or two coming out the vent hole) and/or maybe something to cover the paint with.
The employees there had no workable ideas that they thought would last even short-term. But they were perfectly willing to ogle the bike. One said he'd seen me going by now and then, and had been hoping for a closer look. They loved the thing. It sure beat the last time when I had a guy point and say "What's that?" as if I'd ridden up on the back of a Howler Monkey or something.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
I have a rag (white like the paint) very neatly wrapped around the neck just under the fuel cap. I change it every few months if it gets dirty. It works for me and is pretty invisible.

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
Got some riding done. Was hoping for a bit more than that. I motored down to the local O'Reilly's Auto Parts store to do a bit of brainstorming (and browsing, can't lie). I have a place on my tank, just back of the gas cap, where a little bit of fuel always seems to get on the paint and dissolves it off. So I was looking a fuel-proof washer (wouldn't really solve anything because it seems to be only a drop or two coming out the vent hole) and/or maybe something to cover the paint with.
The employees there had no workable ideas that they thought would last even short-term. But they were perfectly willing to ogle the bike. One said he'd seen me going by now and then, and had been hoping for a closer look. They loved the thing. It sure beat the last time when I had a guy point and say "What's that?" as if I'd ridden up on the back of a Howler Monkey or something.
Dude! I got a solution for you. Its called VHT Engine Enamel. Comes in a rattle can. I got mine from Auto Zone, it's chemically resistant (gasoline won't wash it off). Only difficulty is it has to be baked on to be truly effective, but don't worry, this is how you do it.

1. Purchase a can of VHT in the color you desire.
2. Remove tank from bike. Drain all fuel. Let it sit open overnight in an outdoor location(but covered so rain won't get in it) to vent fuel vapors.
3. Using a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment, insert the hose in the fill hole. Suction or blow, doesn't matter, but blow is better. Power up vacuum & let it run for at least 30 minutes. This should evacuate any remaining gas fumes.
4. For best results, sand the tank to provide the best surface for the paint to stick. When finished, wipe it down with a rag dipped in rubbing alcohol to remove any paint dust, grease or fingerprints.
5. Paint your tank, 2 coats should be good enough. Light sanding between coats with 600 grit is a great idea but not always required.
6. This is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART: Bake the tank in an oven at 200° for one hour. This is why you MUST make sure there is NO gas fumes remaining in the tank, or your oven may catch fire or even explode. If the paint is not baked on, it won't cure right & gasoline will eat through the paint. But once it is cured, you could soak it overnight in a tub of gasoline & the paint won't disolve or come off.

I painted my Skyhawk GT2A frame this way but because it was too big to fit into my kitchen oven, I ended up taking it to an auto body shop & had them bake it in one of their booths. I had to wait three days to get it back, as they waited for a whole car to bake with it, they were unwilling to crank it up just for a bike frame. Only cost me $20.00, but it was worth it.

Do not use clearcoat poly urathane, while it will lock in the color, it will also disolve under gas & mar the finish.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Dude! I got a solution for you. Its called VHT Engine Enamel. Comes in a rattle can. I got mine from Auto Zone, it's chemically resistant (gasoline won't wash it off). Only difficulty is it has to be baked on to be truly effective, but don't worry, this is how you do it.

2. Remove tank from bike. Drain all fuel. Let it sit open overnight in an outdoor location(but covered so rain won't get in it) to vent fuel vapors.
3. Using a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment, insert the hose in the fill hole. Suction or blow, doesn't matter, but blow is better. Power up vacuum & let it run for at least 30 minutes. This should evacuate any remaining gas fumes.
4. For best results, sand the tank to provide the best surface for the paint to stick. When finished, wipe it down with a rag dipped in rubbing alcohol to remove any paint dust, grease or fingerprints.
5. Paint your tank, 2 coats should be good enough. Light sanding between coats with 600 grit is a great idea but not always required.
6. This is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART: Bake the tank in an oven at 200° for one hour. This is why you MUST make sure there is NO gas fumes remaining in the tank, or your oven may catch fire or even explode. If the paint is not baked on, it won't cure right & gasoline will eat through the paint. But once it is cured, you could soak it overnight in a tub of gasoline & the paint won't disolve or come off.

I painted my Skyhawk GT2A frame this way but because it was too big to fit into my kitchen oven, I ended up taking it to an auto body shop & had them bake it in one of their booths. I had to wait three days to get it back, as they waited for a whole car to bake with it, they were unwilling to crank it up just for a bike frame. Only cost me $20.00, but it was worth it.

Do not use clearcoat poly urathane, while it will lock in the color, it will also disolve under gas & mar the finish.
Autozone also sells rattle can lacquer paint that I have used on engine parts and such and it has never been effected by gas and it dries very fast, probably not as good of or tough of a finish as the VHT paint which I also use but so far the lacquer paint has always held up good also.

Map

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
I've used the bbq successfully to bake valve covers before. If you can't get use of an oven. Put some foil down. I 2nd that you have to bake the hi-temp stuff for it to work correctly.

and, I successfully soldered my gas tank studs this weekend without killing myself. I'm happy.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Why don't you just use a funnel when you add fuel?
But, I do. I even wrap a rag around the bottom when I fill up. I had the same issue when I had my old China Girl tank. I'm sure it's just a drop or two out of the vent hold every once in a while. I probably need to come up with something to cover it with.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Being that it's just a quarter-sized bare patch, if I used this kind of enamel do you think I could cure it with a heat gun? Yes, I would drain and air-out the tank and line.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
X I think A/W and Cruise are talking about fuel coming out of the vent in the cap.
Yup. And I thought of a test: next time I ride I'm going to wrap duct tape around JUST the rim of the gas cap. Putter around a bit. Then see if there is a thin coat of fuel up on top of the cap, or down by the base of the neck. Once I'm positive where it's coming from, I can plan better.
But if I had to play to win, I'd place my bet on the vent hole. The gas cap has a fuel-safe washer in it.

Last edited:

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
After finding I'm running quite rich, I moved my circlip to the top notch (from second-top). NT carb by the way.
Straight away my fuel use has gone from about 37 to 51 km/litre. I'll see how the plug behaves to make sure I don't lean it out, but that's a good result so far.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
as I recall, we used to have problems with the small vent hole in the cap that was formed by just a slight bend in the inner part - no vent problems these last few years with new caps that have a drilled hole in the inner part, but I suspect that sloshing is causing gas to come out this drilled hole past the rubber seal - maybe a small felt ring there would help, but might cause the venting problem to come back

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
It was a beautiful day here in Vancouver, so I took the cruiser out for a ride this afternoon. Both a happy and sad one; it was a great ride and she ran beautifully but it's my last ride on her. A farewell cruise, if you will; I sold her this morning.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I downloaded the Kelly KBS48101L-L Controller program on to my XP desktop machine and hooked up the USB->Serial cable to it to change some settings on this Macargi 3-speed 24" Rover electric shifter build controller.

The darn thing was drawing more power than the wimpy battery could put out and it would shut down requiring a battery off/on cycle to run again.