painting the tank

GoldenMotor.com

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
painting the tank ,can you just paint over the tank without sanding ,ruffing up the paint that's on now etc ,i thinking about hand painting a union jack (i am from England)as the tanks are not that big but i dont want to spend a lot of money on primer and other stuff just for a tank , would modal paint work or what sort of paint would i need , or better with a few stickers instead.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Paintwork is a whole topic of artistic adventure!
You can go from brush painted boardtrack styled work to steam punk to magnificent air-brushed fantasy...

You Should prep the tank well by sanding, and you Should apply decent primer, and you Could use model paint...

Best to use a fuel proof product!

Spend a little time reading the paintbooth threads and see what the felows are using currently, for results you would like to see.
:)
rc

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I assume you're talking about the little black peanut kit tank?
Primer isn't necessary but you really, really need to sand the tank. It would only take a few minutes and a dollar's worth of #400 sandpaper. I'd suggest wet sanding under a running faucet, warm water. You'll need wet/dry paper. If by some chance you have a chrome plated tank, good luck. Paint won't stick very well and primer won't help. That's a whole different ball game.

I'd also clean the tank with a solvent to make sure there is no oil residue. Rubbing alcohol will work and won't wrinkle the original paint. Paint won't stick to oil or a shiny surface. Rough it up as described above.

As for paint, I've had very good luck with Dupli-Color automotive spray. Most auto parts stores carry it and you can match about any color you want. Most paints will be attacked by gasoline unless it is engine enamel or formulated to withstand gasoline.
I like to clear coat my paint with TopFlite LustrCoat model airplane clear. It is absolutely fuel prooof and gives a nice glossy finish especially if you buff after the clear has completely dried.

Instead of trying to hand paint your 'Union Jack' why not look for a decal. They should be easy to find. Then clear coat over it. You'd end up with a professional looking job at little cost and labor. Good luck and show us some photos of the finished project.

Tom

Last edited:

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
another great tool I found for mild sanding is one of the green scotch brite pads. If you use a light touch these will take the clear off easily, use a heavier touch and you can get down to metal.

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
ty for the comments , might be a winter job to come now my backs a bit better i might be able to enjoy riding my bike ty again ,